Ch.2

Trees were a blur as we zipped past other cars. Highways are always a rush. Especially on Sunday's.

I turned my music up louder. I sighed when it was up all the way. My mum had the radio blasting. Finally, when I couldn't take it any longer I reached over and turned the radio off completely.

My mum glanced at me then back at the highway. Knowing her she was gonna start talking. I pulled one earbud out and looked at her.

"So honey...are you excited!?" She smiled. Excited for what?moving to a new country, going to a new school with new people and being the new girl, living in a house with a complete stranger who I'm supposed to call dad.

"Do I have something to be excited about? Did I miss something? Please tell me what I'm supposed to be excited for?" I faked enthusiasm.

Mum just sighed and turned on her blinker. I looks out the window and realized we were getting off the highway.

"Honey, you'll love it. I met the love of my life in America."

"Yet look where we are now." Slipped out of my mouth. We were both silent. "Mum I'm sorry. I didn't mean it, but you can't blame me for being upset. I'm going to a country I've never been in before, to a new school with people who do things differently to British people. Plus I'm going to be living with someone I haven't seen in years. The only reason I remember what he looks like is because of a old picture."

She pursed her lips and pulled into Nandos. "I don't blame you.. I blame us for fighting and for me making him have to turn to leaving us.."

"It's okay mom. Let's just go eat.. This is probably the last time I'm ever gonna have Nandos."

She smiled a little bit and we went in.