Chapter 3- Distracting Talks

Kathryn:

"Care to explain where you were?" Stefan said just as I sat next to him in the couch.

"I went for a run." I said simply, I wasn't lying. It wasn't the truth but still not a lie, so if he asked me if I was lying, I could say no.
Brilliant, I know, exception brother is way too smart for this. Unfortunately he's a smart Alpha.

"And that's why I had border patrol wake me up 5am." He said, eyebrows raised at me. I shrugged pretending to have no idea what he was talking about. Please just drop it, just leave it alone.

"Why would they wake you up? Did something happen?" I asked wondering if something else had happened because I do have Alpha blood in me and am one of the packs best fighters.

"Well, Will happen to see, a reddish wolf, laying with her head on a human's lap, near the border." He said with a scowl on his face, I looked away from his glare and but my lip.

"A human? are you sure it wasn't just someone from the pack in human form with their mate?" I questioned knowing I'm not gonna find a way out of this.

"Kathryn." He said warning, and I looked down. "You can't do that. I know he's your mate but he's human, and we don't know if he can be trusted. You can't just let a human see you." He started and I knew this was all true. But I also knew it was harmless, he's my mate. Time to spill.

"I couldn't help it." I sighed admiting it myself. "I couldn't sleep after the party so I went for a run, I ran around for a while, inside the woods, then I caught his scent and I couldn't stop myself from looking, I saw him leave Cassie's building and I know they were probably together because her scent was all over him." I looked down remembering, and thought how that should've been me, my wolf whined in my head. Knowing he had been with someone else hurt a lot more than I thought it would, but I couldn't blame him because he's human and doesn't even know about soul mates. Most werewolves save themselves for their mates but he's not a wolf. "and when I saw him look my way I was hidden but I knew he had already seen me, then he followed me deeper into the woods and he wasn't afraid. When he reached out and touched me, my wolf didn't let me stop him. It's stronger than me, and I didn't tell him anything. When I saw the sun rise I led him out of there and disappeared. He'll probably think it was a dream or the alcohol." The last part came out a whisper, I know its probably true and that hurts me and my wolf. Sadness took over me.

Why can't I be with my mate? Its the only thing I've ever dreamed of. Stefan reached out and grabbed my hand, I looked him in the eyes, and asked the question that had been haunting my thoughts.

"I will have to reject him won't I?" He froze at my sudden question. My voice had been barely a whisper.
I don't want to have to give him up before I even know him. He's my one chance to be truly happy.

"Not unless he's a threat." I looked down again. "Kath look at me." My brother demanded and I did. "I know that since mom and dad died thinking of him was the only reason you didn't-" He stopped, anger clear in his expression. I knew what he was thinking, all the times I had almost taken my own life, the cutting, everything that I eventually grew out of thinking my mate wouldn't want someone covered with scars as a mate.

"How do you know about that?" I asked curiosity clear in my voice along with the shame and embaressement of having to talk about this. He was never supposed to find out.

"You're my little sister Kath. I was always checking on you through the link. I knew that if I said something it would be worst so I didn't. I knew you wouldn't do anything because of him. Look you won't have to reject him. I know how strong it is, the pull, it would destroy both of you. Don't do anything about it for now. Just think." He said slowly. I wish it were that easy.

"Thanks Stefan, for everything." I whispered and hugged him.

"Let's go, I can already hear the omegas making breakfast in the kitchen." He said leading me there. I just wanted to catch some more sleep to be honest, guess not.

*

I spent the next few days helping out in the pack and talking to Rachel and thinking a lot. I had no distraction.
Lana had gone on a trip with Mike and wasn't coming back in a few more days. I thought about every possible outcome. In the end I just decided to let fate decide what happens next. My wolf, begging me to see her mate but I couldn't do that. Not yet. I missed him but I need to figure this out and so does he. He deserves time. This isn't fair, not to anyone but its only right.