Chapter 10- Life Goes On

Kathryn:

I left the cabin soon after Luke, my thoughts a blur.
I just wanted to go to bed.
So I drove myself home and went up ignoring the states from everyone.

Reaching my room, I took a shower, taking in everything that had happened the past 48 hours.

I left the bathroom to find Will, sitting at my window seat and staring at me.

He's like another brother to me, just like Stefan, I could count on him.

He had lost his mate in the same attack that killed my parents, they had met that same day, and since the connection wasn't strong enough, it didn't kill him but almost.

We all know he's still waiting for his second chance mate.

"What do you want Will?" I asked tiredly.

"See if you're okay. Stefan is with border patrol, they found a rogue in the territory." He explained. "So how are you?" He added.

"I'm great." I said sarcastically.

"How did he take it?" He already knew it had gone bad by my mood.

"He needs time." Was all I said, but he seemed to get the message.

"And you?" He said, his eyes never leaving my face, as I got my bed ready.

"And I-" I took a stuffed bear and threw it on the window seat, and kept doing things as I spoke. Never looking straight at him. "I have to give him the time, I did the right thing didn't I? I told him everything. And it's not really his fault it's just too much. I get to sit here and wait." I said without emotion.

"Are you sure you'll be alright here by yourself?" He asked.

"Yeah, thanks. Wake me up if anything happens, and please, I
if anyone asks for me, tell them I don't want company." I told him and he just nodded and left.

I laid down, and tried to sleep, failing miserably. I stayed up all night staring at the ceiling. Just thinking. I didn't cry or smile, I just laid there. Wondering if I was right to do that to him, to change his perspective on the world he lives in and demand his love.

In the morning, I went downstairs and had breakfast with Lana, and the day passed, I didn't talk much, and I don't really care that people were talking about me, some said I was depressed because I didn't find my mate, others said he rejected me, and some other things I didn't bother with.

At night, I laid in bed again and sleep refused to come. After about 2 days like that, just living, doing what I had to, not really caring about anything Lana stopped me in the hallway.

"Kath, what happened? I know something'a wrong." She said with worry.

"Why would you think that? Nothing's wrong." I said calmly. Honestly I'm still mad at her for what she did at the hotel.

I knew she didn't buy it but at least let it go.

"Anyways, my mom wants to go down to the beach today and she told me to call you to come along. " I know her mom, she didn't take no as an answer. She's one of the few older pack members that stuck around, usually after their kids were grown the adults would go out to live their lives with their mates in the human world. Pack business was more for the younger wolves, we were the ones who needed the guidance of an Alpha.

"Sure." Was my answer and I went to my room to get my bag, sunscreen, and change.

Going downstairs I got into her parents car to be told that it was only girls today, something about Rosa, Lana's mother, wanting to catch up with us.

We drove, in the direction opposite from the beach, which wasn't really far, and I only realized we weren't going the 3 of us when we pulled in Cassie'a driveway. She came out quickly and hopped in the backseat with me, something felt odd with Cassie in the car, it gave me a bad feeling and I decided I should avoid her.

We arrived in the beach in a short time that seemed to last forever.

While I tanned most of the time Cassie and Lana wouldn't leave the water and Rosa sat in the shade listening to music. Really looking at her she seemed younger than really was, werewolves age slowly, and her short blonde hair really fell perfectly at her shoulders, where Lana's was a darker shade and her curls more defined. She had the same green eyes as Lana, the type that can scare almost anyone.

When we were going home, we stopped by a pizzeria where as soon as we ordered, Lana went outside to answer a call, and her mother went to the bathroom, I was left alone with Cassie.

"So how have you been?" She asked a little too innocently. I always thought Cassie was a nice girl but something is off, all day today, her aura, seemed dark and it kept me away. Something told me to watch my back with her.

"Great actually, the accident was just a little shock you know to wake up, but now everything's great." I told her trying not to sound suspicious. I know she knows about werewolves, she knows we exist because of her family line, but she didn't care much about it.

"Yeah, I'm glad you're okay." She smiled too sweetly, there is something awfully wrong going on. I heard a buzz and she grabbed her phone, "Sorry I gotta take this, It's Luke, probably calling to confirm our date tonight." She said all too happily. I gave her my best fake smile and nodded.

The worst thought entered my mind and pinched at my heart. He was going to reject me.
If he's going on dates with her he's going to reject me.

Instead of getting up, she took the call right there, the volume of her speaker so loud that it didn't take werewolf hearing to hear their conversation. It really was Luke, and he did call to tell her he was picking her up at 8 for their make up date, and he seemed really happy. His voice content and satisfied. I pretended to not listen or not care, but in reality listening to that broke my heart.

As soon as she hung up, Lana walked in, and not too long after Rosa sat down. I needed to get out of there.

I told Stefan to call me through the mind link, and asked him for an excuse to have to go home.

He did, and I left with the excuse that someone was waiting for me at home. Rosa offered to drive me but I told her I could walk and she understood I need a run.

I left and turned as soon as I reached the woods. I ran like I hadn't in a long time, my wolf was in pain.

She, like me, felt rejected, Cassie was better for him than I would ever be, he liked her more than his mate. It was an awful kind of pain. It was the type of torture that made you wish you were dead but instead it just kept you alive, eating you from the inside out.

After about 2 hours of running, Stefan contacted me saying that now there really was someone waiting for me. I ran back home and changed.

It was 7pm, earlier than I planned to come home.

"Who's here?" I asked Stefan.

"You'll see, just don't freak out." He answered and that scared me, who was it that he didn't want to tell me, and Why would I panic? Who could this be?

He led me to the garden, and I understood why Stefan thought I would panic. One look, and I froze, emotions I didn't want to show came flooding at me. I don't know if I want to be here now, not after everything, but I guess I don't have a choice. Whatever he has to say, I'll have to listen.