Chapter 1

Ashley Wood

"It's time!" Mum almost squealed with excitement. "Come on Ash, it's a new life! We can forget about this one. Only look ahead."

Her beaming smile was the only thing keeping me from breaking down into my negative thoughts. She ran down the stairs, her mid length, mousey blonde hair following behind her.

I wanted to be as excited as she was but I just couldn't bring myself to stop overthink it. I supposed it was usual to over think something like this because today I would be leaving everything behind.
My family were all going to be more than 4,000 miles away. It didn't even occur to them to bid us a fair well, or even ask about our near future.

But that would be obvious if you hadn't heard from them for three years.

I laid in my bed. Paralysed in turmoil.
I didn't want to leave. Despite everything, this was my home. I was still going to miss it.
My room, this house, the beach, this town. The waves.

"Ashley, come on! America is waiting!" Mum hollered from down stairs.

I managed to haul my self up and bring my self to the door. As I was about the pull the door open, I turned to look at my bare room. Everything had been shipped off to America already but I refused to have my board taken away.
I needed one last surf on the beaches of Cornwall.

"Ashley Wood, it's time to go!" She called. Slowly, I dragged myself downstairs, looking at the ecstatic expression on my mothers face before we walked out the door for the last time.

~*~ ~*~

The car journey to the airport was tedious I sat back in my seat letting the screaming silence clear my thoughts.
These sort of silences were dangerous for me. Thoughts usually crowded my mind until the point where I was unable to think about anything else.
Consequently, I did the only thing I could do in these situations.

Music.
My head phones slid into my ears and The 1975 started to blast through.

Ouch.

I instantly turn the noise down a bit to its' normal volume, but the music still blared. That was how I liked it.

A voice interrupted my thoughts, "It's going to be great, you know, Ash."

I could barley hear her through the song, everything was muffled like I was under water.

"Cali has got some fantastic beaches and you know it does. I remember your biggest dream when you were little, was to go to California." She turned to smile at me in the passenger seat.          "All you wanted to do was surf with your dad on those beaches." 

"Mum..." my voice was roar as i attempted to correct her word choice.

"I know, I'm sorry," she sighed. "I just can't bring myself to use his name."

"Using the word 'Dad' is no better." I mumbled, eyes ready to flood with water that never came.
"I know, I'm sorry sweetie."

I took her hand in mine. "We're going to live a new life, Mum. It's going to be great." I squeezed it and offered her the same smile she offered when we left home. "We can surf together on those beaches."

I heard her laugh briefly.
"Ash, your turning 18 in a few months, go on your own, with your friends. You need to live your life, and now no ones going to stop you. Not this time, honey. That's a promise." She took my hand to her lips and kissed them with a smile.

Eventually we had found our way to the airport. I took a deep breath, trying to keep my emotions to a minimal.

I told myself what I'd told my Mum. Everything was going to be different. Better. But I still couldn't convince my mind.

Last night, Mum and I had tried to stay up as long as we could so this journey would be easier. Our night consisted of lots of wine and horror movies.

As predicted, as soon as I was settled in my plain seat I fell straight to sleep.