Chapter 14

I woke to see Nick and Mum talking on a two seats opposite me. I was in hospital.

"Lay down, relax." Nick quickly stood up, walking to the side of my bed.

"Where is he?!" I panicked.

"His gone sweetly," Mum gave me a small smile, tears in her eyes. "I'm so sorry, baby, that's never going to happen again. Nick got him to leave, his gone."

"His gone?" I repeated, hope drenched in my voice.

Mum nodded, quickly running over to me giving me the tightest hug of my life. "I'm so sorry, sweetie. I never wanted this to happen."

I nodded into her shoulder holding her tight. "It's ok, Mum, you never knew he was going to find us." She pulled away slightly.

"If he ever comes back again, ever, you don't go inside and you ring me straight away, ok? I don't care if I'm working, I'll drop everything and come and find you, I'm not letting him do that to you ok?" I nodded, smiling sadly. "I'm so sorry."

We held each other for a few seconds before she pulled away. "I think we owe you a thank you, Nick." She turned to him and smiled.

"It's no problem, really." He smiled.

"Do you two want to talk?" She looked at me. I nodded slightly, realising I had to explain.
Mum kissed me on the forehead and left the hospital room.

Nick looked at me. He sat on the end of my bed. "You don't have to explain. I can put together the pieces pretty well."

I nodded. "Thank you, for helping."

"I told you, it's fine. Just tell me how you know Alec." Nick's hand reached out and took mine, his thumb drawing circles on my skin.

"Ok," I sighed. "Just don't tell any one, please Nick."

"Not even Noah?" I shook my head. "Ooh, I feel special." His smirk made me laugh. I  needed that.

"You know Alec said to expect to see my dad soon?" I begun.

Nick nodded. "That man was your father?"

I shook my head. "My dad died when I was two. That man, Derek, was his best friend.  He was there for my mum for the longest time after his death, and took over my dads fatherly role and when I was six they got married. I don't really know what changed, or how things changed. He just became violent - possessive. He insisted I called him Dad and got angry with my mum whenever she wanted to go out with friends or wanted to visit my fathers grave."

"It was just little things, really, that made him mad. And when he was mad he was violent." I shrugged.

"When..." Nick sighed. "D-did he ever force you to anything?"

I nodded. "On his last day before he left us. I was thirteen and he explained that he was going to have to leave for a job opportunity. He never said where, he just left one day. But the night before... that was the first time... I asked him to stop but he wouldn't and he just took it further and further and made me-"

"You don't have to explain what he did to you. I can't imagine how hard it is." Nick smiled tightly. I smiled back.

"Alec was there. I don't really know his relationship with Derek - he wasn't his son - but he was always there. He was like my child hood best friend, when ever things got violent he would calm me down. But that night, he just sat and watched. It was sick. I kept screaming and asking for help but he didn't do a thing. After Derek finished they talked for a few minuets before Derek left Alec had his turn."