Chapter 37

I sat up in his arms and stared at him in alarm, remembering that Vincent had said he was injured as well. Samuel frowned at me, confusion swimming in his eyes.

"Arabella, are you-

"Vincent said you were injured...where?" I demanded.

He sighed, "Honey, I'm fine, I-

"Samuel, I want to know where. Now show me." I snapped.

He frowned, but turned and showed me the claw marks. I sighed, gently trailing my fingers over the healing wound.

"At least I'm not dying from these ones." He joked, turning back to face me.

"Ha.Ha." I sighed with a roll of my eyes.

Samuel wrapped his arms around me before picking me up bridal style. I laughed and wrapped my arms around his neck, a full blown smile on both our faces. When we reached the bedroom we cuddled against each other, enjoying each other's company. I wanted to tell him that his mother was here, but before I was able to even say a word I slipped into a deep sleep.

The next morning I woke up to an empty bed and yelling from downstairs. I scurried out of the room and down the stairs, my eyes wide and heart pounding. I skidded to a halt when I saw a furious Samuel looking at a stunned, but irritated Evelyn.

"So Mark didn't kill you and you didn't say anything!?" Samuel snarled.

Evelyn swallowed, "I wanted to, but couldn't."

"Couldn't? Right." He scoffed.

"I wanted to raise you with Vincent."

"You used him to get back at Mark." Samuel spat out with disgust.

Evelyn sighed in defeat, "That's what he told you...huh?"

"Yes."

She smiled softly, a sorrowful look crossing her features. "I've always loved Vincent...I did have feelings for Mark, but....that was because of the bond. I could tell he was in love with my sister, but his possessiveness over me controlled him. Vincent and I have known each other for many years, even though I erased his memory of those beautiful months. We dated for six months when I discovered I was Mark's true mate. I didn't want Vincent to be heartbroken so I erased his memory of me.
On that one night I ran to him for comfort, but after depriving myself of any sexual pleasure since I hated Mark...we ended up making love. Then you know the rest." She explained.

Samuel's eyes were still dark with fury, a fury I knew was very dangerous. I swallowed my fear and quietly walked into the kitchen, giving Samuel a nervous look.

"Is everything alright?" I asked.

He spun around and glared at me, causing me to flinch slightly. "No, everything is not fine! When were you going to fucking tell me my own damn mother was here!? Huh? Along with a fucking vampire!" He sneered.

I gulped, "I-I meant to tell you, but-

"But what?" He snapped.

"But I fell asleep."

He let out a bemused laugh, "Of fucking course!"

Anger blossomed in me as I glared at him, "Well, I'm sorry I was waiting for my mate to return home and couldn't sleep because I was so worried! Next time, I'll make sure to not give two shits and go to bed. Maybe even block the bond!"

He was fuming, I could tell he was barely controlling his wolf. Even so, I didn't back down. Behind him, Evelyn tried maneuvering around him, but he stopped her.

"You, stay there." He snarled. "Arabella, go back to the room."

"No." I stated firmly, crossing my arms over my chest.

He narrowed his eyes, "Don't test me, Arabella."

"I'll test you if I want to fucking test you. But I'm not leaving you here with your mother, who you look like you want to kill."

"So, what if I do?"

His mother tensed up behind him, her eyes widening with horror. I matched her look as I stared at him.

"You would kill your own mother?" I whispered in shock.

He shook his head, a dark laugh escaping his lips. "She's no mother of mine. She wasn't there my whole life!"

"Doesn't mean she deserves for her own son, whom she loves, to kill her." I barked.

Samuel continued to stare at me, his eyes flickering between his natural eye color and the pitch black. He gritted his teeth, his brows furrowing.

"Go to the room." He said, dangerously calm.

I opened my mouth to argue, but at that moment Vincent decided to walk in. When he saw Evelyn he completely froze, his eyes widening.

"Eve? What...." He trailed off, unable to form any words.

I sighed, "Stay away from me for the rest of the day, your highness."

It wasn't until six pm that Samuel walked into the room, his body sweaty and surrounded by the scent of the gym and blood. I glanced at him with a blank look before focusing on my book.

"My mother said dinner would be done in an hour." I informed him, my voice bitter.

He stood still, his eyes boring holes into me. I looked at him again, raising an eyebrow, questioning him. He opened his mouth to speak, but then snapped it shut. After another minute of an awkward and tense silence he released a frustrated breath. He ran his hand through his sweat soaked hair, his eyes dull with tiredness and guilt.

"I'm sorry for snapping earlier." He murmured.

I studied him, searching for any sign of dishonesty. I clenched my jaw when I found none and put on my blank mask again.

"Okay." I stated.

He frowned at me, "Okay? No-

"I said okay, Samuel. Isn't that good enough?" I snapped.

I internally groaned, mood swings are a bitch. Especially like now, I honestly wanted to cry.

"I apologized to my mom...I just....I don't like being vulnerable to new people. So...I act out with anger. I didn't mean to...it's instinct." He explained.

"You weren't like that when we first came here." I pointed out.

He nodded, "Because your parents weren't a mystery to me. I've met them once before."

"And Evelyn is a mystery to you?"

"Well, she left me in the hands of an asshole and then suddenly reappears. I'm sorry if I didn't make a peace treaty with her." He grumbled.

I sighed, "I love you."

He looked at me, before I couldn't even blink, he was laying beside me. He nuzzled his face into my neck.

"I love you more." He replied.

"You smell disgusting, go shower!" I gagged, a small smirk appearing on my face.

Samuel smiled evilly, amusement dancing in his eyes. "Oh, you'll pay for that."