Chapter 40

Samuel

The first thing that I felt was a throbbing in my head, causing me to wince. I could hear the sound of a heart monitor and could smell the scent of cleaners and medicine. It took me a few minutes to open my eyes, but once I did and they adjusted, I frowned. I looked around, noticing I was in the hospital.
I snapped my attention over to the door as it swung open, revealing a doctor. She looked up and smiled warmly at me.

"You're up!" She beamed.

I frowned, "Why...why am I here?"

"You don't remember?" She asked, furrowing her brow.

I sighed and closed my eyes, after a few seconds it all came rushing back. I winced as my head proceeded to cause more pain.

"Nevermind." I sighed. "I remember....Arabella. Where's Arabella?"

I tried getting up, but she quickly pushed me back down. "Your highness, you need to let your body heal. Shouldn't take long."

"What...what made me shift back?" I asked, slightly irritated.

"Well, from what the guards said, there was some sort of silver mist around you and the future queen. They had to wait for it to go down before reaching you two. You were also injected with a mixture of silver and wolfsbane. Luckily, it wasn't enough to kill you, but you'll be weak for a few hours." She explained.

"What about my mate?" I urged, needing to know.

She swallowed, "She's alive and awake..."

"And?"

"She has traumatic amnesia. Her injury isn't severe, so it shouldn't last for a long time but...this isn't something we can give you an exact length of time that it'll last."

"So...wh-what does that mean? What does she remember?"

"The last memory she has is of you...abusing her. I have to suggest...you get some help. It's not normal for someone to abuse the one they claim to love."

I frowned at the bitterness in her voice, "I know." I whispered.

"Why?"

I looked up, "What?"

"Why did you truly abuse her?"

"I was angry and my wolf is...or was...hard to control. Those times I abused her was my wolf's doing."

"That's why you went back and forth of caring for her and...hating her." She murmured.

I frowned, "How do you know this?"

"She was yelling about it in her room. I wouldn't advise you going to see her...it could cause her to become worse." She warned.

I nodded quietly, she sighed as she looked at me. She sat down and gave me a soft smile.

"She'll remember you eventually, as for your wolf...when you were a hybrid it's normal for you to barely have control over your wolf. Especially when your human half loves her and your wolf doesn't."

"Is that why he suddenly became easier around her?" I asked.

She nodded, "After she helped you the third time, he most likely started to fall in love. Definitely wasn't love at first sight with him. It's a difficult thing to explain."

"How do you know about everything that happened?"

"She is currently a blubbering mess in there." She gave me a reassuring smile before leaving.

I laid against the pillows, tears pricking my eyes. I blinked them away, she doesn't remember our love. She doesn't think of me as her fiancée or mate...to her I'm some monster who killed her adoptive father. I lowered my head, and it's all my fault.

A/N: Now you know the twist or whatever. Each chapter will count as a day of her recovery and his.