Chapter 48

An hour passed, sounds of wolves howling in pain and triumph sounded through the windows. I could hear some of the wolves break other's necks, probably tossing their bodies aside like garbage. My mother held onto me tightly, both of us scared for our mates. After a while longer I couldn't take it and stood up, my mother tried stopping me, but I refused.

"Stay." I ordered her before climbing the stairs.

I silently closed the basement door and sprinted down the hall, partially shifting so I could hear better. I was relieved to find the castle empty, but when I saw the outside my heart fell. Thousands of wolves littered the ground, among them were the ashes of dead vampires. I easily spotted Celia decapitating a vampire with the help of Andreas. I scanned the crowd for Samuel and my father, I managed to find only Evelyn and Vincent. My heart hammered against my chest as I shifted and sprinted into the battle, tearing through any enemy that stood in my way. I finally caught their scents and followed them into the forest, my concern growing.

When I found them I skidded to a halt, my eyes widening with the scene in front of me. My father was stuck to a tree, a silver dagger going straight through his wrist. Samuel was on the ground, multiple slices from another dagger littered his chest and stomach. He was coughing or rather puking blood, his arm wrapped around his stomach. He was a bloody mess, but he still crawled to his feet and glared at a man who looked a lot like Lycan. It didn't take a genius to know he was Ryker and the vampire standing beside him that looked like a mix of Celia and Andreas, was the King of Vampires. When Ryker went to plunge the dagger into Samuel once more I growled loudly and jumped in front, bearing my teeth at him. His eyes were bright with shock, but an evil glint soon replaced it.

"Ah, so you must be Arabella...Lycan's original mate." he sneered with disgust.

I growled louder, getting into a fighting stance. He tilted his head, his black eyes watching me with curiosity. "Good thing my son never loved you, I would have worried if he had. It would only show how bad his taste was in women. Samuel's original mate, Payton, would have been much better." he explained, walking towards us.

I didn't let him take another step before I was tackling him, without hesitation he shifted and fought back. We rolled around the ground, blood soaking our coats. I was careful to guard my stomach, refusing to allow him to get in any damage there. Both of us were suddenly grabbed by our scruffs and thrown onto opposite sides of the clearing. I stood up and shook out my fur, glaring at the attacker. The vampire king scowled at us, his eyes showing annoyance.

"The immaturity here is nauseating." he groaned, rubbing his temples. "Now, let's have a civil conversation, shall we?"

I rolled my eyes and scoffed in a weird wolfish way, this only earned more irritation from the king. He glared at me, but didn't come closer. "All I want is something so simple, once I get it, I'll leave. This mutt and his rogues can die for all I care." he grumbled.

Ryker shifted back, not caring that he was completely naked. I kept my eyes on his face, wishing I could murder him with my glare. His eyes were wide with surprise and betrayal, they then narrowed.

"You were planning on leaving us to rot this whole time!?" he snarled.

The king rolled his eyes, "Yes, glad it finally got through your thick skull. You didn't actually think I was working for you, did you?" he laughed.

"I-I thought...I thought you wanted the kingdom as well." Ryker replied, confused now.

The king shook his head, "No, I want my deceased mate's necklace...the very necklace this king took from me."

I looked at my father, he furrowed his eyebrows. "What necklace?" he croaked.

The king shifted his gaze to my father, "A golden one with a real ruby on it...it belonged to Corentine. It's the last thing I have of her, besides Celia." he murmured, his eyes holding sorrow.