Promise of a New Beginning

Sara's nightmares came more frequently at Nyssa's absence. She would wake with cold sweat and heavy panting. Her fear of it coming true grew each passing day. Nate's presence helps ease her worries away a little. Nyssa made it clear that Nate should be by her side while she was gone.

"You still have nightmares."

Nate and Sara were standing at the balcony, leaning on the metal railings, watching the world unfolding outside their walls.

"They get worse each time."

"They're just dreams. She will be back soon."

"How soon?"

"Depends if they have accomplished what needs to be done."

Nate took a glimpse of his friend. Sara looked much better. She has regained some of her body mass, and looks healthier, but she still looks lost. He would catch glimpses of a smile now and then when they talk about the good times they shared back in Starling, but it vanishes as quickly as it came.

"You know she will do whatever it takes to finish it as soon as she could so she could go back to you already."

"That's what also frightens me." Flashes of her nightmare came, with Nyssa lying in her arms, bleeding, dying, or lifeless already. "What if she makes a mistake because she's trying too hard to finish it hastily?"

"She won't let that happen."

"How can you be so sure?"

"I know her and I trust her. She has got to be the most skilled assassin there is here. And she made a promise to you. She will be back."

"You should have come with her."

"To make sure she gets back to you? I may be more devoted in keeping her alive than Alec, but he is still more capable in doing so. And besides, she is more worried of your well being. She can handle herself."

"And I can't?"

"Do you really want me to answer that?"

Sara pouted and turned her back to the view outside.

"They're here."

Sara swiftly spun back around to see.

"Where?"

"You see the two black vehicles coming up the road?"

Sara focused her eyes and saw two things moving far out the road. She felt relieved but her fears are still afloat until Nyssa is alive and well in her arms.

Nyssa's mind hadn't been on the mission ever since the moment she had with Sara after their meeting. All she could think about was the deep seated pain inside her beloved's eyes as she plead with her not to leave. She wants to shield her from her fears.

"We are ready." Alec said to her but her thoughts still wandered.

"Nyssa!"

Nyssa snapped back to attention.

"Get your head straight. She will get you killed."

She knew he spoke the truth, such distractions are not welcome on missions as dangerous as the one they were to head on to, but how could she keep her mind off Sara. She truly worries her. Being distracted, on the other hand, would do both of them no good. She has to focus. She has to finish the mission. She has to go back to Sara. There she found more reason to focus. She was no longer a distraction but a reason to keep herself together and alive.

When they had accomplished the mission, Nyssa dreaded the journey back home. Home. She smiled to herself. It was the first time that the thought of going back to Nanda Parbat made her smile because Sara was there. Sara was her true home.