Acceptance

Nyssa sat in the middle of her room, meditating. She has finally felt at peace since Sara had left. It had been a turmoil, but she has decided to finally let go of the pain and anger. Sara made a choice, and she shall respect that.

"What are you thinking about?" Nate casually stood by the door. Though it was not customary action for an assassin, he could not care any less. No one was there to see him. He wants to feel like a normal friend visiting another.

Nyssa breathed in and out a few more times before she answered.

"Do you not meditate to clear your mind? Not clutter it?"

"Meditation isn't my strongest suit. I wouldn't know."

"Clearly."

Nyssa opened her eyes to look at Nate. She smiled when she saw that same smug face he usually had before. She didn't know she missed that about him.

"I haven't thanked you properly."

"For what?"

"Saving me. You saved me from doing something I would have ultimately regretted. You saved me from giving in to the pain, when you convinced Sara that one cannot be at peace knowing the pain they leave behind."

"I was only trying to protect you."

"And you did, Al-Hami."

Nate's face turned solemn. Hearing that name he had chosen as a testament to her pass through her lips, felt very uplifting. For her to acknowledge him as the protector, her protector, was life fulfilling. A goal he thrived for, realized.

"I'm glad."

Seeing Nate's reaction, Nyssa realized how much it had truly meant to him. She had been reluctant to let him take on that role, but it never wavered him. He has proven himself worthy to be called what he has always been, a protector.

They went on to train as they usually do to occupy their time. The rhythm of their movements seemed to have blended well with each other. It was as if something finally clicked and there was balance and harmony between them. A common understanding and acceptance of one another.

They spent more and more time together, on a professional and personal note. They grew closer together. Nate noticed how Nyssa's features have a lighter feel to them. She was smiling again, even without Sara's presence. He hopes he could be the reason for it, but dreads that she simply remembers the one who holds her heart.

He wishes to have a deeper relationship with Nyssa, but is afraid to even bring the idea up. He is afraid to ruin whatever little connection he has with her. And her continuous presence as they spent much time together does not help the desire he tries so desperately to hide. He wishes to at least show her that he could love her more than anyone could. He knows he's not Sara, but he is not nobody. And as Nyssa calls him, Al-Hami, his hope for something more grows.

He decided to shake up their calm rhythm by sneaking up on her in her room for sparring. But he was in for a bigger surprise when he crept out of the shadows and found Nyssa, only having finished bathing with a loose robe around her. Nyssa felt a strange presence lurking behind her. She grabbed whatever nearest her and threw it in its direction. Nate dodge it, but lost himself at the sight in front of him, when Nyssa's robe fell off.

Nyssa had seen Nate look at her with desire, but she never minded, because he has always seemed to have controlled it. This time was different. His eyes burned with it, uncontrollably.

Nate took a step closer as if to test how Nyssa would respond. Much to Nyssa's surprise, she was unable to move. She was hypnotized by the burning desire in Nate's eyes. Her thoughts quarreled as to what she desires to happen.