Partners

It has been eating away at Nyssa the entire weekend. The horrified look on Sara's face after she thought that Nyssa was trying to kill her with an arrow. She had frightened Sara. She didn't mean to. She was saving her from a possible fatal hit to the head by a football. But she had frightened her. She would really want to get a chance to talk to Sara and apologize again, but she doesn't know if Sara would even let her near her. She has to figure a way somehow.

Nyssa tried early in the morning that day. She was already in school even before it opened like she normally does. She was seated by the ledge of the stairs at the front entrance of the school, waiting and pondering about what she has to do about Sara. She didn't want to leave it like that.

The school janitor finally arrived and opened the doors. "Good morning, Nyssa. I see you beat me to it again." The old man greeted her with a smile.

"Good morning, Harry." She absently smiled back, her mind clearly elsewhere. She stood and walked inside behind the man.

"Something on your mind, dear?" He asked keeping his tone light.

"Yeah. Something. Oh, I almost forgot." Nyssa took out a small paper bag. "I made some muffins earlier. This is for you. Banana walnut."

"You always give me something, yet again I have nothing for you." Harry accepted the bag and smelled the delicious fragrance of the content.

"Your warm greetings in the morning are more than enough to brighten my days, Harry."

He thanked Nyssa for the muffin and the sweet words, then headed back to opening the other rooms of the school.

Nyssa sat at the top of the stairs overlooking Sara's locker. She waited there for her, thinking over and over of how to approach her. She could offer a muffin and apologize, but dismissed the thought. She thought of countless numbers of ways of how and what she's going to say, but the moment Sara arrived by her locker, all thoughts vanished from Nyssa. She stood and tried to walk to Sara, but she froze at the end of the steps. She had never been so nervous her entire life. We'll she never had to apologize to someone who thought Nyssa wanted to kill them.

Nyssa surrendered all thoughts of apology that moment and walked away, but all she could think of was that horrified look on Sara's face.

Then there was the look they shared before she left the field. Nyssa didn't know what to make of it. All she knows is that it made her heart speed up, the way it is speeding up now just by thinking about it.

"You're troubled." Alec said to Nyssa, breaking her reverie.

"I'm fine. You should get to your next class. I'm going to mine." And as if on cue, the bell rang.

"Alright. I'll see you later." Alec left with a slightly worried look on his face.

Nyssa went to her next class and sat at her usual spot. By the corner, near the windows, at the back of the room. She really likes that spot, because from there, she can easily observe all that's going on inside the room, even the outside. And it's easier to be alone with her thoughts while looking out the window.

Everyone came rushing in, chattering with each other, and took their seats when the teacher came.

"Alright, like I said last week. We will start working on things by partners. I'm quite sure that everyone has already chosen, so please go sit next to your partners." Their teacher instructed them. And just at that moment, Sara and Max came in to the room.

"Sorry we're late, Mr. James." The two girls apologized at the same time.

"It's fine. We're just getting started. Do you have partners already? And please tell me, you didn't pair up together."