Where Everything Changed

"Where do you want to go next?" Nyssa asked as they walked through the streets. It had been three years since the day Sara had come back to her life. Things have been going well, but the fear hasn't completely left her. But she tries to enjoy every moment she has with her.

"Let's get some ice cream." Sara suggested. "Would you like some ice cream?" She asked the little boy holding her other hand, as Nyssa was holding the other.

"Yes! Can we?" Nathan answered excitedly.

They have become quite a family. They do almost everything together. They love each other unconditionally. Nathan even calls Sara, mama. The unbreakable bond that Nyssa and Sara had always shared has extended to Nathan. He's their most wonderful blessing. Everything is close to perfect, except there was still no ring.

The idea of marriage never came up again after that day that Sara gave the ring back to Nyssa. She knew Nyssa would when she's ready. She won't rush. She'll just wait like Nyssa had for her. She just hopes she hadn't given up on the idea completely.

"Hi. Excuse me." Some well built guy walked up to them. "We're having a juniors martial arts class going in the gym right now, maybe you'd be interested to join."

"Ah, no, thanks. We're good." Sara responded politely.

"Or you can just watch maybe it will encourage you next time. It may be good for the kid." The guy insisted.

"Mom, can we go see?" Nathan asked Nyssa with pleading eyes neither could refuse.

"Sure."

They were led to a very spacious gym, where there were a number of kids of varying ages. The class hasn't started yet by the looks of the kids playing around and chatting on one side.

"Martial Arts is great to teach at such a young age. They will learn early on how to defend themselves, especially for your kid."

"What do you mean?"

"It's good for a kid to be taught by a man how to fight."

"Wow. Are you saying a woman cannot?" Sara shot back.

"Not in a sense that a man can." He said arrogantly.

"I am offended by that."

"I'm just stating facts. Women are not as physically capable as men. If you like, I could even teach you a few things. Times these days, can't be too careful."

"Are you calling me weak and helpless?" Sara was getting ticked off by his arrogance. At first, she welcomed the idea of enrolling Nathan at the gym so he can train and learn with other kids, but getting to know this trainer, she's going back on it.

"Don't take it personally. It's science."

Sara definitely wanted to kick the guy's teeth down his throat.

"Did you just insult my wife?" Nyssa finally spoke up. And all the annoyance Sara was feeling seemed to have subsided with what she had heard. Did she just say wife? She wanted to call her on sit right then and there but the joy it brought her was just overwhelming, she couldn't say anything.

"Hey, I wasn't."

"You think I can't take you on?" Sara challenged.

"Let's not go there. I wouldn't want you to hurt yourself."

"Do you own this place?" Sara asked.

"My brother does." He pointed at a slightly taller guy than him with the same built.

Sara walked up to him and called him to join in on their heating conversation. Nyssa was just shaking her head and smiling. She knew Sara wasn't going to let it go. She misses fighting. They would spar at home from time to time, but she would love to actually beat someone up.