one

dakota +

i was sitting on the edge of my seat on the bleachers - keeping my eyes locked on the football practice that my best friend dragged me to.

he was focused on the few sweaty and shirtless torsos, doing countless press-ups and jogs from one end of the field, to the other.

whereas, i was focused on just the quarterback, who was wearing a number 24 on the back of his jersey.

"do you think it's a bit odd that we're here?" i asked. "you know, considering that the other people watching are either dating or friends with people on the team?".

"not at all," jonah brushed off, refusing to take his eyes off the boys. "i'm practically dating one of the players".

"occasionally reminding connor reed of a project deadline or him apologising for bumping into you in the hallway does not mean that you're dating".

"okay well, drooling over jack isn't going to bring you guys any closer to dating either" jonah said as he gestured out to the field and my sight locked back onto my main focus for the past fifty minutes  - jack gilinsky.

jack has been popular ever since the middle of junior high, when crystal harris decided to turn him into her new little "project".

i mean, after that every girl suddenly acknowledged him, every girl instantly wanted him and frankly, every guy wanted to be him.

but his buzzcut hair and awkward height was surprisingly where my crush developed.

it was back when we were science partners every now and then or sat at the same lunch table, or actually had a single conversation in the hallway.

although now, i'm pretty sure that he only goes for girls who just notice his incredibly chiseled jawline or perfectly tanned skin.

i broke out of my reverie to the sound of coach yelling insulting remarks at the team, before blowing the whistle to signal the end of practice. some of the players headed for the locker room and others came over to the bleachers to greet their partners or friends.

whereas jack stood on the sidelines, chugging down his water, as his on and off girlfriend, crystal harris jogged towards him.

personally, i've never liked the girl...well actually, that's a lie, because she was a decent person in elementary school until boys and puberty dramatically hit her.

as everyone started to get up and leave their seats, i decided to stay and watch the couple before me. jack rejected a hug from crystal and frustratedly threw his bottle down on the grass, tugging his hands through his hair.

just as jonah stood, i questioned him, "hey, what do you think is going on with them?".

"probably the usual - crystal refusing to understand that you cannot have sex with someone else while in a relationship" he sniggered and started walking down the bleacher row as afternoon classes were about to begin.

i continued to watch crystal plead onto jack and him, yank his arm away every time that she did so. but soon, crystal got the message and tearfully hurried off into the other direction, as jack went to collect his helmet.

at that point, he gazed back up at the stands, suddenly catching eye contact with me.

i looked around and noticed that everyone else had already disappeared except for jonah, who was waiting at the end of the row, hypnotised by his phone.

i abruptly stood, nervously pulling my bag over my shoulder and tucked my hair behind my ear, before walking along the row to reach my best friend.

"so, what did you figure out from sitting all the way up in the bleachers?" he sarcastically asked.

i held my answer as i glanced back at jack - he furrowed his brows at me, probably baffled as to why i was staring at him or even at practice in the first place.

"uh, nothing" i said, unusually responding without my even higher level of sarcasm. "come on, let's go".

i slightly pulled on his arm and looked over my shoulder one last time to see jack sit down on the tiny bench - holding his head inside his hands.

*

it was the last period of the day. i was seated in english and waiting for the class to begin, as i started hearing haste footsteps coming from outside the room.

i soon realised who they belonged to when jonah came rushing in and jumped in his seat in front of me. he stared at me with his big, brown eyes and with a huge grin plastered across his face.

"so, are you going to tell me what the news is or are you just going to continue to give me that creepy smile?" i chuckled.

"okay well you'll never guess what? in biology, i heard that...jack and crystal broke up" he covered his mouth to hold in his excitement like a little child.

but i struggled to see through to the joy in this and slouched down in my seat.

"they break up all the time, jonah. by tomorrow they'll be sucking each other's faces off in the hallways" i said, while constantly clicking and unclicking the pen in my hand.

"no, dakota. i mean, they broke up, for good" he emphasised. "everyone's talking about it because apparently in the locker room, jack said that he's tired of forgiving her all the time or something".

i was still struggling to see the bright side of jonah's news and stared at him blankly.

"why aren't you happy about this?" he nudged my arm. "you have a better chance with him now".

"yeah, right" i scoffed. "did you see the way he looked at me after practice? like a complete stranger and freak".

"you're reading too much into it. come on, he had just broken up with his girlfriend, he was bound to look pissed" he assured me.

i nodded my head as the conversation drifted off and i watched crystal strut into the class with her head held high, and slight mascara smudges underneath her eyes.

instead of going for her usual seat, she headed over to nate maloley - my asshole of a cousin - and sat on his lap, before they shared an explicit kiss.

jonah and i both grimaced at the scene, but also laughed at how expected this was of crystal.

though, i suppressed my laughter when i glanced at the door and saw jack walk in with sam wilkinson. they were matching in their blue varsity jackets and were in mid-conversation until sam pointed out jack's newly ex-girlfriend, making out and openly flirting with my cousin.

they exchanged various words that i couldn't hear until jack said, "dude, i don't even care" as they sat down in their seats.

though, i would occasionally get a glimpse at how jack slouched in his chair and fiddled with his hands - looking over at crystal and nate every few seconds.

-

omg i suck at first chapters wow but i just really wanted to update. so i might add more to it or maybe change it completely idk yet.

vote, comment and share. ❤️