eighteen

jack's pov +

after a long 45 minutes, the detention was finally over and i held the door for dakota as she left the classroom after me.

"that was complete torture" i complained, pulling the strap of my backpack over one shoulder.

"and that was only my second detention this year" dakota said.

my eyebrows raised in surprise, "second? wow teachers must love you".

"no. i just do my homework, listen in class, behave myself—".

"yes, we get it, dakota - you're an angel" i chuckled, rolling my eyes. "anyways, it was all completing unfair".

"but we're both texting in class, so i'm pretty sure that miss haywood had the right" she responded as we continued walking down the empty hallways.

"not about that" i corrected. "when she put you on the spot and embarrassed you in front of everyone, she should have seen that you were uncomfortable but i had to step in".

dakota shook her head, tucking her dark hair behind her ear whilst her eye contact shifted to the ground.

"don't worry about it, but thank you though" she glanced up at me.

i lightly smiled, "no problem".

dakota suddenly let out a sigh as she brushed her finger tips against the lockers we were passing.

"so, yours or mine for today's tutoring session?" she asked.

i groaned and threw my head back, "i really have no energy to calculate numbers now".

"but you did so well last week, you're really improving".

"thanks, but actually, i think i have a better idea that doesn't involve math or anything school-related" i suggested, speeding up my pace before we exited through the doors.

"wait. where?" dakota called out as she tried to keep up with me heading towards my car in the parking lot.

"come on, get in" i told her.

i unlocked my car and got into the driver's seat with dakota in the passenger.

"jack, what's your idea? where are we going?".

"seatbelt on?" i diverted her question and started the ignition.

dakota folded her arms and raised her brow, "is this kidnap?".

i couldn't help but laugh at her, as i tried my best to avoid answering her queries until we got to the destination.

"holy shit, you ask a lot of questions, dakota" i told her over my chuckle.

"but questions need answers, so please answer me".

"we're just going for a drive, okay. i want to show you something".

i gave her the most minor detail that i could and she soon huffed, sitting back in the seat with a suppressing smile.

"fine" she gave in, then finally allowed me to drive out of the parking spot and exit the school grounds.