five

dakota +

as the class dispersed into separate conversations while we waited for our teacher to arrive, my eyes diverted to the door when jack and his large group of friends entered.

they were goofing around and suddenly became the loudest conversation in the room.

"...i'm telling you dude, she's great" jack said, as they walked over to the few empty seats behind me and sat on the top of the desks.

"i told you, bro!" sam pointed out. "crystal isn't the only girl out there".

"wait, who is this girl that you keep talking about today?" derek luh asked.

"her name's olivia - we were texting all last night, we have a lot in common-" jack explained and my cheeks heated up at the excitement in his voice.

"is she hot?" the other popular jack interrupted, but everyone calls him johnson.

"yeah of course, but that's just a bonus. she's funny, understanding, she's into-"

"woah, it looks like my boy is a little whipped" sam mentioned.

the rest of the guys snickered at the comment and i nervously bit on the skin of my lips at the thought of him being so attached, so soon.

"fuck you, man" jack defended. "i'm not whipped, okay. she's just really cool, that's all" he quieted his voice and his friends continued to tease and chuckle at his denial.

i ended up zoning out of their conversation and over-thinking what they said about jack being "whipped".

was that a good thing? or just an open chance for him and me to get even more hurt.

for once, i was glad to see my math teacher enter the room and settle down the class, because algebra would at least take my mind of these regrets.

*

while sitting in my bed in my room, i decided to send a text to jack since the last time he responded was earlier when he was fascinated to know what i was eating for lunch.

me:

hey :)

i sent the message, and about half an hour passed of nothing.

then, i waited another thirty minutes and i stupidly grew anxious because usually, jack responds so quickly that i can barely keep up sometimes.

as jonah lay on his stomach on my bed, he turned to me and narrowed his eyes, "you're anxious - what's wrong?".

i fiddled with my phone in my hands, "i texted jack more than an hour ago and he still hasn't replied yet".

"okay i love you, dakota and no offence, but his football jock schedule doesn't really include replying to a text message from a girl he's never met".

i moved off the headboard and buried my face into a pillow, "but usually, he replies within five minutes or so" i mumbled.

"you're a guy, what does this mean?" i asked, lifting up my head.

"yes, because me of all people has a similar mindset to a guy, who's biggest problem is if a girl thought his dick was too small" jonah responded and i rolled my eyes at his lack of help.