twenty-four

dakota's pov +

the following week after the party, i took a few sick days to let what happened die down as much as possible before i came back.

my social media has just been filled with comments on how much of a fake bitch i've been and how i played with jack's emotions.

like, you can only read so much before you go crazy from all of the notifications, so, i just deleted most of the apps.

whereas for jack, i've texted and called him a hundred times, but he's ignored every single one.

it was my first day back after those sick days, so i was currently sat in world history. i couldn't stop glancing back at jack, sitting a few rows behind me.

when i used to do this, he'd tease me for staring at him and would make funny faces at me. but now, he couldn't give a shit and just tries his best to not look in my direction.

i needed to try talking to him again.

when the bell rang after class, i hurried to catch up with him before he left the room and i gently pulled him back after everyone had gone.

"jack,".

he huffed with annoyance, "i thought i told you to leave me alone".

"yes, but—".

"so what are you doing, dakota? huh?" he questioned. "because you lied to me for weeks, and if you of all people can do that to me, who can i ever really trust?!".

it frustrated me that he was right. he glared down at my hand still holding onto his arm, so i slowly let go and allowed him to leave the room in peace.

it was lunch time, so i sat in our homeroom class eating my lunch alone because it was better than sitting in the public area for everyone to scold me and whisper about me.

i was busy eating my sandwich, but looked up once the door opened - liam peered his head through.

"room for one more?" he showed me his plastic container that held his lunch.

i shrugged to respond and he shut the door behind him. he sat up on the desk opposite me, starting to eat his lunch too.

i wasn't up for any sort of conversation - i haven't really wanted to speak to anyone lately. so we sat in silence until liam spoke up.

"what are you eating?" he asked.

i opened my sandwich and showed him the filling.

"peanut butter and jelly, should have known" he chuckled. "i became obsessed with them when we were kids and i could only eat the ones that you made because they were the best".

i smiled lightly at his words, then continued to eat my food. but liam soon sighed at my lack of speech.

"come on, dakota. say something" he begged.

i pursed my lips as i thought of something to say just so that he wouldn't pester me anymore. but i know that liam means well and i guess it's sweet that he's sitting here with me.