thirty-three

dakota's pov +

just like every other lunch at school, jonah, kelsey and i were sat on the bleachers watching the football practice.

i'm just glad that i now have a legitimate excuse to be here and watch jack, rather than feeling like i'm just stalking my crush.

"hello great people, what did i miss?" liam appeared, jumping down from to sit beside me.

"nothing much. but hey, i'm still sorry about ditching connor's place on friday" i apologised. "i had to help jack out after that fight".

"no, it's fine. i still had fun with you at prom" he responded with a smile.

"oh. helping jack out, huh?" jonah snickered.

"stop" i warned him, holding back a laugh.

"so you just cleaned his injuries and let him go home then?" kelsey joined in with jonah's childish game, causing me to roll my eyes.

liam glanced at us all with obvious confusion, "what's going on?".

"dakota and jack are dating" jonah blurted out.

"we're not dating" i quickly corrected. "well, not officially any ways".

"when did this happen?" liam questioned.

"seriously liam, where have you been?" kelsey said. "everyone's talking about it".

i sighed, "they're being delusional".

"jack confessed his love for dakota, they kissed and he spent the night in her bed" jonah explained to him.

"i'm sorry, were you there?" i chuckled.

"no, but the way you went on about it made it seem like i was" he retorted, making me hit him harmlessly.

"oh and liam, my mom wanted to know if your mom wanted copies of the prom pictures" i asked him.

he was staring blankly at nothing, so i knitted my eyebrows together when he didn't respond.

"liam?...hey" i nudged him.

he snapped out of his daydream and turned to me, "yeah? sorry".

"you good?" i inquired, looking at him concernedly. he nodded and gave me a brief smile.

"yeah, i'm fine" liam replied although by just looking at him, i wasn't fully convinced.

jonah suddenly threw his arm over my shoulder, taking my attention away from liam and onto him.

"we're both dating football players now. it's great, right?" he eagerly spoke.

"we're not dating" i corrected him again.

"kelsey could join the club too" jonah suggested. we glanced at her as she refused to look up from her phone.

"mention sam and you'll regret it" she muttered.

"maybe liam should hook up with a cheerleader then, so we'll all be on a jocks' radar" i said.

liam shrugged his shoulders, "maybe".