twenty

dakota's pov +

jack and i never managed to have our tutoring session on monday.

he never texted me or came to me at school, and i guess i didn't have the courage to go to him either after what happened at his house the other day.

it's literally been three days since we last spoke and to be honest, it's been complete torture.

after getting out of kelsey's car, her, jonah and i walked down the parking lot to get to the school doors whilst talking about our weekend.

just as jonah explained his very detailed text messages with connor, i noticed jack up ahead messing around with his friends by sam's car.

he laughed with them, holding johnson in a headlock until he glanced up and noticed me walking by.

his laughter gradually faded and i couldn't quite make out his expression right now. he wasn't smiling or scolding me, he just stared.

all i want to do is know what he is thinking, but since that's obviously impossible, i looked away eventually and ignoring what just happened.

"um, what was that?" kelsey pulled back my arm as we continued walking up to the doors.

"what was what?" i questioned.

"that look between you and jack" she added.

"what look? what did i miss?" jonah quickly asked.

i pulled open the school doors as i tried finding the right words to say.

"things are awkward between him and i at the moment" i answered them.

kelsey frowned, "why?".

"we were at his house the other day for tutoring, but we played this video game first and we were messing around, practically wrestling each other,".

"holy shit" jonah excitedly interrupted.

"and then he landed on top of me. you guys know very well what i would have done if i had the courage too, but i didn't and neither did jack. so he just apologised and rushed me out the house".

"no, what the fuck?" jonah complained as we stopped at kelsey's locker. "why didn't you make a move?".

"because what if he didn't want me to? that would have been much more awkward than our situation right now" i replied.

"but from what you told us about the other night when jack took you to that hilltop, he seems pretty keen on you to me" kelsey told.

jonah nodded, "agreed".

i sighed at their optimism and leant against the lockers behind me. if they knew how much anxiety runs through my head every second, then maybe they'd understand.

"thanks guys, but with the way jack is acting right now, it's pretty unlikely that that's true".

my eyes drifted further down the hallway where i spotted liam standing by his locker, trying to collect his books.

"and yet another person who i'm not on speaking terms with right now" i announced. "i need to talk to him, so i'll meet you in english".