twenty-eight

jack's pov +

"so her name is destiny, she lives in la, total babe and this time, i know for sure that she has your correct number, so no mistakes can happen again" sam assured, ending with a quick wink.

"wait, you already gave her my number?" i questioned whilst we walked down the school hallways.

"yeah, expect a text from her soon" he patted my back. "could be a sexual one, she likes that stuff".

i rolled my eyes, "dude, i don't want you setting me up with people anymore".

"why not?".

"i'm fine with being single, there's nothing wrong with it".

"except for you being miserable half of the time" i heard sam mutter, causing me to glare at him.

"what's up fellas?" connor suddenly exclaimed, pushing in between us with his arms over our shoulders.

"connor, please can you convince jack to give this girl a chance?" sam asked, then showed him a picture on his phone. "she could be the one and he'll end up regretting it".

connor took the phone from sam as we continued walking to our home room.

"wow, she's hot" connor's eyebrows raised. "almost knocked the gay out of me".

sam and i both gave him an awkward look before he exchanged looks with us both.

"i'm kidding, wow" connor broke the silence and i chuckled at his humour.

although, sam grew fed up with his lack of help and walked ahead to convince other people that setting me up would be a good thing.

"hey, have you spoken to jonah lately?" i wondered as connor and i slowed down at his locker. i leant against the one beside him, waiting for his answer.

"well, yeah. he's my boyfriend, so it's pretty likely".

i fiddled with the strap of my backpack, "has he mentioned anything about dakota on saturday evening?".

"no, what happened?" he inquired.

"it's just that i saw her and she was pretty upset about something, and i just want to know why and if she's okay".

"here's an idea" connor began, taking a few books out from the locker. "why don't you just ask her yourself?".

"we haven't talked in more than two weeks. i don't really think i have the right to anymore" i shrugged.

he furrowed his brows at me, "the right to be a good person and ask about someone's wellbeing?".

i sighed and tugged my fingers through my hair.

"...you really care about her, don't you?" connor eventually asked.

"it's a little hard not to" i replied. "and plus, her boyfriend probably wouldn't like me doing so either".

"boyfriend?".

"liam. i don't know, i always see them together - flirting and play fighting. i just assumed that they're a couple by now".

"it does make sense. they're similar but also complete opposites, which is pretty good for a relationship" he agreed. "jonah also insisted that liam likes her more than a friend. and plus, he's actually pretty h—".

"alright dude, i get it" i cut him off and slouched on the lockers behind me. "they're fucking meant for each other".

"woah, is that jealousy that i sense?" connor smirked as he closed his locker and we started to walk again.