twenty-six

jack's pov +

i entered the kitchen, buzzing for a snack as it's been hours since i ate breakfast. staring into the fridge was no use, so i just grabbed an apple from the fruit bowl.

just as i was about to get back to my room, i heard brief laughter coming from outside. i looked out the window and instantly noticed where the noise was coming from.

dakota was across the street cleaning a car alongside liam. she was running around her front lawn, squealing with laughter as he chased her with a wet sponge.

i assumed it was as some sort of revenge since he was already drenched with water from head to toe.

it's been a long time since i've heard dakota laugh, or seen her smile. i don't really see much of her except for the back of her head in class or briefly in the hallway, or at lunch.

throughout the past week or so, i've been thinking a lot about what happened and i've managed to become less angry and resentful over it. i don't even think about olivia anymore - all that's been on my mind lately is dakota.

i've just been trying to remember the good in her and helping myself to understand that she didn't mean much harm like she said.

but it's harder than you think.

"what are you looking at, son?" my dad said as he came into the kitchen.

i whipped around at his presence and cleared my throat. "nothing".

he stared at me in confusion then came over to the window to look in the direction that i was staring at.

"sarah's daughter. dakota, is it?" he asked, going over to the fridge. "she hasn't been here in a long time, is she still tutoring you?".

"no. she, uh, doesn't have much time anymore" i lied.

i never told my family the real reason behind dakota and i's lack of communication at the moment. they just wouldn't understand, it's none of their business and they'd probably try lecturing me about talking to someone i've never met before too.

"oh, that's a shame. so, have you found a new tutor?".

i shook my head, "i think i've gotten the hang of math now any ways".

that was a complete lie, but i just wasn't bothered in finding and getting to know a new tutor right now.

my dad popped open a beer and took a small sip before motioning to me like he was about to speak.

"not to be too forward, but i always thought that there was something between you too" he told and my eyebrows raised.

"you did?".

"yeah, i have a good eye for those things, jack. i saw the way that you looked at each other".

i rolled my eyes and started to leave the kitchen before this conversation grew more awkward than it already is.

"dad, you're being delusional" i stated and he laughed at me.

"what?! am i wrong? she's a pretty girl!" dad exclaimed.