thirty-one

dakota's pov +

"after party at my place!" connor announced outside the prom venue, creating a loud cheer from the few people around.

he walked alongside jonah wearing their matching prom royalty sashes, after rightfully beating crystal and her prom date.

jonah placed his prom king crown on his boyfriend's head, then turned around to liam and i who were walking right behind them.

"hey, are you two coming?" jonah asked us.

"yeah, i don't mind" liam agreed.

i pulled liam's jacket further on my shoulders for warmth and shrugged, "i don't know, i might just head home. not really in the after party mood".

jonah pouted, giving me a sympathetic look, "come on, dakota. is it because of who will be there?"

"don't worry" connor interrupted. "if crystal tries to run her mouth, i'll back you up" he winked.

"isn't he the best or what?" jonah grinned, giving his boyfriend a kiss. "but i've got your back too".

"same" liam assuringly put his arm around me.

i sighed, then nodded my head, "okay, fine. let's go".

connor's after party was pretty small and most of us were sitting in the living room, talking and drinking the beers and vodka that he managed to get his hands on.

it was all fun and chill until crystal managed to turn herself into the host and make almost every conversation about herself.

we were now forced to talk about her birthday plans and frankly, i couldn't care less about an event that i definitely won't be invited to.

"i want to switch it up this year" crystal spoke. "my parties are usually unforgettable, but i want this to top all of them".

"why don't you have a theme?" adrianna suggested.

"yeah like fancy dress or something" gia added.

crystal hesitated, "hmm, pretending to be someone you're not. any tips, dakota?".

as if on cue, the room grew silent and all eyes were on me, waiting for my response.

"no, crystal" i huffed, straightening out my dress.

she smirked at me, "are you sure?".

"crystal, either be nice or you're out" connor told her, thankfully defending me.

"well, something needs to liven up this damn party" she muttered.

"hey" derek clasped his hands together. "how about seven minutes in heaven?".

"yes! i'm down" sam exclaimed, getting comfortable in his seat, whilst everyone else began to agree with derek's suggestion too.

"sure, why not?" crystal said. "jack?" she questioned him, twirling her hair on her finger as she looked at him next to her.

jack settled down his empty beer next to the three others that he'd already finished.

"yeah, whatever" he answered.