twenty-seven

dakota's pov +

i didn't tell anyone where i was really going today.

i told my mom and nate that i was heading to the library and i told my friends that i had a family over so i couldn't hang out. i just needed to do this on my own. i just need to get it over and done with, and never speak of this day again.

it was three o'clock and i stood outside the cafe, questioning whether to enter or not. numerous people walked in and out whilst i stood on the side, contemplating what to do next.

i soon picked up the courage to open the door and walk inside to scan the room for my father.

people can change a lot in four years, so i probably wouldn't recognise him at a first glance. or maybe he's decided to bail on me as per usual.

"dakota?" i heard a voice say from behind me and i looked over to see him sitting by the window on one of the stools - my dad.

"hi" he let out a smile, standing up from his seat. "i was starting to think that you changed your mind".

he took a few steps forward to hug me, but i instantly stepped back. it's been far too long and i'm just not comfortable with him like that anymore.

i could tell that he was taken aback by my resistance, but he brushed it off and gestured to the seats.

"come on, let's sit" my dad said and he sat back on his stool by the window, but i decided to sit one seat away from him.

"look at you. wow" he spoke in shock. "you're so grown up. you look just like your mother at your age".

i didn't respond with any emotion. i kept my hands on my lap and allowed him to do all the talking because i had nothing to say. well, nothing nice any ways.

"so, um, how have you been? whenever i text you, you never reply. but it's okay, i change my number a lot" he explained. "i was wondering if you could give me nathan's number too, so that i can—".

"why now?" i abruptly cut him off.

i couldn't hold it in. i just needed to get this off my chest before this day moves any further.

"what?" he questioned, chuckling to lighten the moment.

"why did you want to meet now, today? of all days. because if it's money that you want, ya know for drugs" i dug into my purse and took out a few bills. "then here. i have enough for heroin, coke, ecstasy, i don't really remember which one was your favourite".

i could feel people starting to look over at my dad and i whilst i stared him down. he glanced at a few of them and awkwardly gave them a smile.

"no, no, i don't want your money" he denied. "i haven't been in los angeles for a while and when i knew i was coming, my first instinct was to contact my daughter".

i scoffed at his words.

"i missed you, dakota" my dad added.

"then why didn't you come back sooner? it's been four years!" i helplessly exclaimed. "where have you been?".

"everywhere really. every city, every state" he informed.

a smile started to grow on his face as i wondered what he could possibly find amusing about this situation.