twelve

dakota +

after driving from connor's and dropping kelsey home, i decided to come over to jonah's place for a while.

"mom? dad? i'm home with dakota" jonah exclaimed as i shut the door behind me.

"son, when are you not home with dakota?" jonah's dad walked out from the study room as he settled on his glasses.

i chuckled, "hello, mike".

"hey kiddo" he lightly hugged me.

jonah and i have been best friends since pre-school. our families have always been super close, so ever since my dad walked out, mike has basically been like a second father to me.

"how was the big party?" mike eagerly asked, putting his hands in his pockets.

"it wasn't a party, dad" jonah rolled his eyes and corrected.

"it was just a gathering at connor's" i added.

mike's lips slightly shifted into a smile, "oh, so who's connor then?".

jonah grabbed my arm and started to lead us to the stairs, "i am not getting into this with my own father".

"who's connor?" jonah's mom, natalie suddenly came in, interrupting my light laughter and staring at every one of us with a blunt face.

jonah kept quiet at his mother's presence, so i quickly jumped in, "he's just some guy in our grade at school".

"your friend?" she emphasised and i watched my best friend's shoulders defeatedly drop.

"yeah" he answered, almost inaudibly. "he's just my friend, mom".

jonah brushed past her to make his way upstairs. i immediately followed after him, before his dad broke the silence and began a heating conversation with his wife about their son.

i guess, you could say that mike has always been the most supportive and understanding towards jonah's sexuality. he was raised to be quite open-minded, whereas natalie has been the complete opposite due to her strict, religious background.

jonah came out to them when we were in the ninth grade and we're now seniors, yet she still struggles to accept that her son for who he is.

jonah instantly lay flat on his bed and i cautiously sat beside him with my legs neatly crossed. i didn't want to go into the one topic that he really hates to get into, so i thought of something new.

"so, last night i was texting jack as olivia and he said that he wanted to hear her voice" i mentioned, causing his eyes to suddenly widen.

"and what did you say?".

"that my speaker was still broken and he wouldn't be able to hear me".

"dee seriously, there's hardly any point continuing to be this girl" he told me. "look at the way jack acted today - he's clearly able to notice you without you having to pretend to be someone else".

i indecisively shrugged, "i guess".

he propped himself up on his elbow, "but i mean, what are you going to do when jack actually asks for your number?".