epilogue: part three

dakota's pov +

the amount of phone notifications that i woke up to was basically the only reason how i remembered it was my birthday today.

my head has just been consumed by so many other things lately that it slipped my mind.

there were texts, memory snapchats and instagram stories all wishing me a good day, being grateful for my friendship and their excitement to see me tonight.

half of these people have only really been my "friend" from the time that i got close to jack, but i guess it was really just the thought that counts.

i checked jack's snapchat and instagram, and there was nothing. then i checked our text conversation together and there weren't any three dots appearing.

i still can't believe how inconsiderate he was being the other day and i haven't spoken to him since, but it just hurts knowing that he's not even trying.

"happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you" i heard my mother singing outside my bedroom door until nate interrupted her.

"wait, we can't just walk in. what if gilinsky's naked in her bed?" he said, making me roll my eyes.

"dakota is smarter than that" my mom defended.

"is she?".

"you know i can hear you out there!" i exclaimed before the singing restarted and they both walked in with a tray of well presented pancakes.

"thank you guys" i said as they settled the tray in front of me.

"make a wish and blow out the candle" mom excitedly insisted.

i shut my eyes and made a quick wish, before blowing out the small flame.

"i can't believe my baby is finally eighteen, my last baby is eighteen" she spoke almost in tears, stroking nate and i's heads. "so what have you got planned today? i know you're not ten anymore so you wouldn't want to spend the day with me, and i also know that this day every year you'd go and have lunch with your father".

"yeah but i got over that many years ago" i shrugged. "um, i'm actually having a party - sam is hosting it at his house".

her eyes lit up with a smile, "ooo, that sounds fun".

"everyone's been talking about it, so expect chaos dakota" nate sang and pointed his finger at me as he left the room. my mom settled my tray of food beside me and sat down on the bed with me, resting her head against mine.

"let me tell you a secret - i think i can convince nate to give you his car if you decide to go to stanford since he's going travelling" she confessed to me.

i lightly smiled as the topic of colleges immediately rained on my mood.

"what's the matter?" she inquired.

i sighed and turned to her, "jack and i had a fight the other day. he found out that i was planning on going to nyu and he just freaked out, didn't believe in me at all and just said a lot of hurtful things".

she hugged me closer to her, "aw, sweetie. has he apologised?".

"no, not yet. but to be fair i told him not to see me today" i said. "but do you think i should go? to new york?".