nine

dakota +

i took my books for my morning classes out of my locker, whilst also trying to stuff my backpack inside the minimal space.

with my luck, my phone started to ring so i tried to take it out of my pocket. although it was no use as my books started slipping out of my hand, but were quickly caught before they hit the ground.

i looked up, seeing jack standing over me and i suddenly froze, almost dropping the rest of my books.

"it's easier to just do one thing at a time" he said in the nicest way possible, before flashing me a smile and handing my two books back.

"t-thanks".

"so last night, my mom said something about you tutoring me for math?" he mentioned, putting his hands into the pockets of his varsity jacket.

"yeah, my mom sorta made me—...not that i don't want to help you, because i do. it's just that—".

he interrupted me with a chuckle, "i'm free today, say i meet you outside after school? we can take my car".

i quickly nodded, trying to fix the books in my arms more securely, "that's fine".

"okay, well i'll catch you later, dakota" he began walking away and gave me a small wave, before joining his friends who were waiting for him.

i huffed and buried my head into my locker with embarrassment. i could barely control a single word that came out of my mouth once jack smiled at me - how the hell am i going to get through tutoring him every week?

"dakota, i've been calling you for the past five minutes" i heard jonah's voice. "what's happened?".

i took my head out of the locker, "is it ever possible for me not to embarrass myself in front of jack gilinsky?".

"yes," he helped me put my backpack away. "because you don't embarass yourself, you're just overthinking things".

"well, i'm tutoring him math after school so i hope so" i told, shutting my locker before he pulled my shoulder back.

"what? since when?!" jonah exclaimed.

i started walking again and he followed behind, "since our mothers talked about it last night".

"oh my god, this is perfect".

i stared at him in confusion, "how is it perfect?".

"well, this tutoring could be your chance to get close to jack" he said and i rolled my eyes at how unrealistic he was being.

"and once you're one step closer to stealing his heart, bam! you get rid of olivia and his arms are wide open for a hug from you" he crazily added.

"jonah, no. do you even go to this school? look at the girls that jack hangs out with and look at the girl that he used to date, i don't even come close".

"dakota—".

"guys like jack do not go for girls like me, but he apparently goes for girls like olivia" i continued with a lower voice.