nineteen

dakota's pov +

jack's tutoring session with me was happening on saturday this week because earlier, we were both pretty busy with school and life in general.

so, i took a few of my textbooks from home and walked across the road to jack's house. i rang the doorbell and his mom immediately answered, letting me in.

she had her bag on her shoulder and keys in her hand, so i assumed that she was about to head out.

"morning dakota, how are you?" she asked with a big smile, shutting the door behind me.

"i'm good, thanks mrs gilinsky" i replied. "how are you?".

"i'm great, love. so, i have to make a quick stop at the grocery store but jack is currently in the living room being incredibly absorbed by a game that won't help him pass maths!".

she called out the last part clearly enough for him to hear.

"don't listen to her!" jack exclaimed back as i laughed at them both.

mrs. gilinsky shook her head, then placed her hand on my shoulder.

"you'll be lucky if you get him off that thing" she told me and i chuckled. "anyways, i'll see you soon, and there's some snacks and drinks in the kitchen".

"thank you, mrs. gilinsky".

she opened up the door again, "please, just call me katherine".

i nodded with a smile, before she gave me one last small wave and left the house.

i walked towards the living room as the sound of jack's video game got louder.

i entered to see him sat forward on the couch, gripping the controller tightly and playing close attention to the fighting animations.

i leant against the doorframe, watching him.

"well, this is no world of warcraft, but a justice league fighting game is still pretty nerd-worthy to me" i spoke.

he glanced over with narrowed eyes.

"ha-ha-ha" he responded with sarcasm, then i came and sat down beside him.

"so when should we start with these quadratics?" i questioned, settling my bag on my lap to start preparing my textbooks.

"i have one more round, then i promise we'll get onto the tutoring" he said with his eyes still focused on the game.

i sighed and put my bag down, "fine".

i watched the game in front of me and how invested jack looked in it, wondering how long he has actually been on this thing.

"have you been playing this all morning?" i asked.

"no, i threw in a little fifa and my speciality world of warcraft in there too" he explained whilst i examined the game cd cover. "why? do you wanna play?".

jack paused the game and handed me the other controller as i looked at him hesitantly.

"come on, when the guys aren't here, i have no one to go up against because my sisters always decline" he gestured the controller closer to me.