thirty

dakota's pov +

"kels, come on" i heard jonah's voice say from outside the changing room curtains.

prom is in a week, so jonah, kelsey and i have spent most of our saturday morning at countless stores to find the perfect dresses.

and to be honest, it's been much harder than we thought it would be and definitely much harder than finally being able to convince kelsey to come to prom too.

"i like this one" kelsey replied with the same response that she's had for every dress she's tried on today.

"no, you don't" jonah told her, causing me to laugh to myself as i slipped on my third potential dress.

"yes, i do" she said more sternly.

"you're only saying that because you want to leave".

"yes, i do want to leave" kelsey argued back. "i'm fucking hungry".

"food can wait" jonah declined. "dakota, come out".

once i managed to get the side zip up, i opened the curtain and walked out of the cubicle, brushing off the red dress a little.

"well?" i nervously asked. jonah's opinion is the one that i care about the most since he's always and i mean always right.

he tapped his chin as he observed my look, "i like it, but the next one seems like it'll fit better on the waist area and the colour's better too".

"oh my god" kelsey quietly groaned in annoyance.

"yeah, i think you're right" i agreed, looking at myself in the mirror then walked back to remove the dress again.

"so dee, i heard that jack still doesn't have a prom date yet" kelsey began.

"i know, it's weird right?" i said back. "prom is in a week and you'd expect this sort of thing to be sorted in advance for jocks. you know, for prom queen and king".

"fuck prom queen and king" jonah cursed. "two kings will be winning this year - hudson's high's first ever gay royalty. i'm gonna make it happen".

"you better because i don't want to see crystal meth up there being hailed as our queen" kelsey added from the room beside me.

"ugh, i can imagine it already. she'll say this long speech about how honoured she is when really, she rigged the votes herself" i rolled my eyes at the thought.

"her face will be priceless when she hears mine and connor's names being called out".

"but what about kelsey and sam?" i snickered. "our school's brand new power couple".

"i'm not going to agree to go to prom with sam wilkinson" kelsey spoke. "he'll have one arm around my waist and the other squeezing the ass of a girl who just walked by".

i chuckled at her joke, then stepped out of the changing room again in the final dress that jonah suggested.

"okay, how about this?" i inquired.

he covered his mouth and rose from his seat as his eyes tearfully stared at my dress.

"oh my god, i had such a strong feeling that this would be the one and it is" he explained, then wiped his eyes and composed himself. "now, you need shoes and a purse to go with it".