twenty-nine

dakota's pov +

"so prom is coming up and connor and i were thinking that we should put money in to get a limo" jonah suggested, whilst we sat at lunch in the cafeteria.

"isn't he going with his friends?" kelsey asked.

"no, he says that everyone will want to be fashionably late, crystal will be a drama queen" he listed. "so he'll just come with us instead. you in?".

"oh yeah, sorry. i'm not going to that" kelsey bluntly mentioned, then focused back on the apple she was eating.

i raised my hand a little, "yeah, neither am i".

"what?!" jonah suddenly exclaimed. "why the fuck not? you have to go to prom".

"the whole preparation for it is so time consuming" kelsey groaned as she heavily rolled her eyes.

"so, what were you planning on using your time for instead?" jonah squinted his eyes, waiting for our excuses.

kelsey shrugged her shoulders, "i don't know, catch up on my tv shows".

"no, you're coming. stranger things can wait" he told her. "dakota, so are you".

"i don't know, i was up for it weeks ago but lately i've just not been feeling it" i explained.

"that's a shame because i was thinking that maybe you and i could go together" liam said, causing me to start rethinking my choice.

he nudged me arm to motivate me more as i continued to think.

"come on, it'll be fun" he added.

"wait, is that your promposal?" jonah inquired. "seriously, liam. i thought you would do better than this".

liam looked between us all in confusion, "what did i do wrong?".

"everything. connor set up this adorable hunt where i had to go to every member of the football team and recieve clues, before getting to him".

"it was very tiring" kelsey confirmed. "but, yours was pretty lame compared to that, liam".

"dakota doesn't think so" he gave me a smile, but it faded once he saw my reaction. "do you?".

i shrugged then awkwardly bit into my chocolate bar, "it was cute".

"see? just cute isn't good enough" jonah pointed out.

liam chuckled and shook his head at us, "alright fine. i am going to convince you to go to prom with me".

he got up from his seat and moved his lunch tray out of way, before standing up on our table.

"liam, what are you doing?" i tugged on his pants leg, but he hushed me then whistled loudly to get everyone's attention.

the noise in the cafeteria soon died down and everyone's eyes fell on the table, where liam proudly stood and waited for some quiet.

"hi everyone, thanks for giving me your attention" he cleared his throat. "dakota richards, you are my best friend and have been since diaper days, and prom would be a lot better if i had your amazing self by my side. so, will you do me the honour and be my date?".

he looked down at where i was seated and the rest of the cafeteria dauntingly did the same.

"if i say yes, will you sit down?" i questioned him.

"yes".

"then yes, i'll go to prom with you" i giggled, before the cafeteria abruptly filled with cheers and clapping.