twenty-two

dakota's pov +

once kelsey and i knocked on sam's door, it was quickly opened by jack, who immediately grinned at the sight of us.

"before you come in, what's the password?" jack questioned over the music, looking directly at me.

i knitted my eyebrows with confusion, "what are you talking about, jack?".

"kelsey, you can go ahead" he stepped aside from the door to let her in, but quickly stood in my way once i tried to follow.

kelsey chuckled at the confused look that remained on my face right now.

"looks like i'll see you inside, dee" she gave me a thumbs up, then soon disappeared into the crowd.

"jack, let me in" i said, placing my hand on my hip.

i trapped my lips in my mouth to hold back any smiles at this childish game that he was playing.

"the password first. what is it?".

"i wasn't told about a password, so you're gonna have to help me out and give me a clue".

jack smiled, licking his lips, "i don't give out clues".

his taller body towered over me as we stood inches apart. i folded my arms to keep a stern face at the smirk on his face, but soon gave up and let out a sigh.

"okay, fine. the password is: jack is the best person in the entire world" i tried, since it was likely he was just fishing for a compliment from me.

"that doesn't sound like much of a password to me".

i harmlessly punched his shoulder, "stop. quit being annoying and let me in".

"annoying?! do you want to get in to this party or not?" he questioned.

but i raised my eyebrows at him to say that i was serious and to stop with this mind games.

"okay, okay" he gave in and stepped aside. "but only because i want a drink and you are going to join me".

he put his arm over my shoulder and we walked through the huge crowd of people, who were socialising and dancing to the music playing.

we made about two stops on the way as people just couldn't stop greeting jack and giving him bro hugs. every time, i told him that i could just meet him after, but he'd insist that i stay and cut his conversations short for me.

when we finally made it to the kitchen, jack popped open a beer and i decided to have a cup of the alcoholic fruit punch.

i was excited to enjoy his company, but as if on cue, crystal walked in on her black heeled boots, closely observing our interaction.

"dakota, you're here again. at another one of our parties" she smiled with her arms folded across her chest.

even though she was insinuating that i shouldn't be here or that i belong here, i sipped my drink in peace and shrugged my shoulders.

"problem?" i questioned.

"yeah, crystal" jack spoke up. "problem?".