thirty-five

dakota's pov +

"dee?" jonah's voice snapped me out of my reverie.

"sorry, what?" i questioned him as we both lazily sat in my room alongside kelsey.

they both exchanged looks before coming back to me.

"you keep zoning out" kelsey answered, leaving me to shrug and focus back on the fluffy pillow that i was picking at.

"did you see jack at all today?" jonah asked and i nodded.

"he keeps avoiding me" i said before groaning a loud and laying down on my bed. "fuck, i can't believe that i did that yesterday guys".

jonah chuckled, "i can't believe you did it either".

"but i just...i don't have time for heartbreak and the whole crying over jack gilinsky. i've been doing that for the past three and a half years" i tried to explain to them.

"but dee, it's the fact that you let him go based on what crystal harris said to you" kelsey reminded me.

"but—".

"yeah, i know that she rarely ever lies but she's a bitch and doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt" she added.

"yeah even if what she said was true, you should have just taken the risk and dated the goddamn quarterback" jonah advised, playing with a few strands of my hair.

i sat back up on my bed and glanced at my two best friends, "really?".

"jack cares about you - there's no way that you can deny that" kelsey assured, causing me to let out a small smile.

but it slowly faded when i realised that it was only yesterday evening that i told jack that we were rushing into things, and he's avoided me ever since.

"yeah, well it doesn't really matter any ways. sam's probably got a whole list of girls lined up for him to get over me with" i muttered.

"that's ridiculous" jonah scoffed then stood from my bed. "you know what? get up".

i furrowed my brows, "why?".

"you're going on that date with jack tonight" he ordered. "you have this cute dress that you never wear and his jaw will drop once he sees you in it".

"but i hate that dress".

"well, i love it and who knows better about these things?" jonah inquired.

i sighed, "you do. but what if jack doesn't what to go anymore?".

"yeah, right" kelsey commented, then pulled on my arm to get me up. "come on, go take a shower then we'll do your make up and hair".

my friends forcefully pushed me all the way into the bathroom then closed the door behind me.

i stared at myself in my mirror, taking a few deep breathes and hoping that jack wouldn't completely shut me out after how harsh i was yesterday.

+

"just go to him and explain that you didn't mean what you said yesterday" kelsey said to me whilst we all left through my front door. "but he'll probably already be convinced once he sees how great you look".