seventeen

dakota's pov +

liam and i came downstairs in the morning, talking about how loud he snored last night and laughing at how he continued to deny it.

we walked into the kitchen, suddenly disrupting my mom as she sipped her coffee.

"oh. wow, liam, hi" she said in surprise. "i didn't know that you stayed the night".

i awkwardly rubbed the back of my neck, hoping that my mother wasn't getting the wrong idea.

"yeah, uh, he lost his keys and his parents were out at a wedding" i replied.

"sorry, sarah. maybe i should have asked first" liam added.

mom shook her head with a smile, "no, not at all. you're welcome anytime".

liam smiled back, as him and i settled on the bar chairs. 

"so i'm heading to work, i just finished making a fresh batch of pancakes, so you can go ahead and dig in" she told us, causing me to happily get up from my seat and grab two plates.

mom finished off the remains of her coffee and own pancakes, and quickly wiped down the counter to do a little last minute cleaning.

"oh and leave some for nate, dakota" she sternly said, pausing at the kitchen exit.

i dropped my shoulders and huffed, "but then liam won't have any".

"at least leave him two, dakota".

i groaned and added a few pancakes to mine and then liam's plate, "fine".

"i'll be home before dinner" mom came towards me to quickly kiss my head.

"bye sarah" liam called out.

"goodbye, liam" she responded and promptly left the kitchen, before leaving out of the front door in a hurry.

i loudly clasped my hands together, "okay, so for toppings we have; chocolate sauce, strawberries, nutella, whipped—".

"yes, nutella!" liam exclaimed and i chuckled at his excitement, going over to the cupboard over the microwave.

with my luck the nutella sat on the highest shelf, so i tried my best to reach on my tiptoes until i heard liam laughing quietly behind me.

"thanks for just standing there and laughing without actually helping me get your nutella" i sarcastically told, folding my arms across my chest.

"it's cute that you're tiny" he smirked, then easily reached above me to grab the glass container.

"just because i'm shorter than you, that doesn't mean that i'm tiny" i defended and harmlessly nudged his side.

"okay, sure" he patted the top of my head until i swatted him off and found my own toppings for my pancakes.

after a while of liam and i sitting in the kitchen eating our breakfast, our conversation was quickly cut off by the text that i received.

jack:

dakota are you home?

i frowned at the message in confusion, then tapped my screen to reply.