thirty-six

jack's pov +

standing at our lockers on monday morning, sam was gushing about some girl that he hooked up with over the weekend and how she was much better than her best friend.

i wasn't really paying attention to the details when all i could think about was how badly i messed up with dakota on friday.

crystal came over that day after school because she lost her house keys. at first we were talking but one thing just lead to another and i hate myself for giving in to her.

"once we'd finished, she was completely out of breath but that didn't stop her from begging me to go once more" sam nudged me and chuckled.

"okay seriously sam, you're my best friend and i love you man but i honestly don't give a fuck" i finally told him.

he stood speechless at my blunt words, but i did a double take behind me when i noticed dakota walking down the hallway and towards her locker.

"dakota" i casually rushed over to her.

she ignored my presence and focused on entering the combination to her locker.

"did you get my texts or calls?" i questioned, awkwardly standing behind her with my hands in my pockets.

i sighed as she once again stayed silent.

"look, i'm sorry. i never meant to hurt you. what happened or what i did was so stupid and i wish i could just go back in time and—".

dakota shut her locker, cutting off my words and went around me to head to home room. i just wish that she would at least say something to me.

"dakota, wait" i grabbed her arm before she could move any further. she glanced at my hold on her then finally looked me in the eyes.

"please, just let go" she said, her voice quiet and shaky as if she would burst into tears any second.

in that moment, i wished that i could just hug her and hold her until she's okay, but this is all my fault and i can't stand to see her like this.

out of respect, i let go of dakota's arm then watched her briskly walk down the hallway and straight into the girls bathroom.

first period was english - everyone was scattered around the room, sitting on tables and talking loudly whilst we waited for our teacher to arrive.

dakota never came to home room and she has english in this class too yet she isn't here. i anxiously bit my lip, thinking that trying to talk to her earlier just made things worst.

but i relaxed a little when i saw her finally enter the classroom. she studied it a little, briefly catching eyes with me but went for the few seats at the front as soon as crystal purposely touched my arm.

i rolled my eyes at her behaviour and moved away to my other friends.

"hey what's happened with you and dakota now?" seriyah questioned. "she looks really upset".

crystal joined us and scoffed, "so?".

i huffed and scratched the back of my neck, "i messed up. but it's a long story, so i'll explain later".

"what's so long about it? she broke up with you then got upset when you moved on. it's ridiculous" crystal explained, folding her arms across her chest.