epilogue: part four

dakota's pov +

after what felt like being on the road forever, jack began to turn into streets that i could just about recognise.

when the car was finally parked, he turned off the ignition and spread his lips into a smile as i realised where we were.

"remember our first detention together?" jack began, taking off his seatbelt and stepping out of the car. "...are you coming or what?".

i chuckled and got out of his car too. i hadn't said a word yet since i was suprised that jack even remembered that he took me here once.

he lead me towards the same hilltop that we once sat on together and screamed for the world to fuck itself. but it now featured a blanket that jack removed over the top of a mini picnic date that he must have planned.

fairy lights tangled through the branches above the set up, shining brightly enough for us to see in the night.

my shoulders dropped as i stared at my boyfriend in awe, "jack".

his eyes started to show a sense of regret, "it looks shit, doesn't it? you don't like it? fuck, i'm sorry i should have asked if this was your type of thing".

"no, no, are you crazy? i love it, a lot. thank you" i intertwined my hand into his that he smiled at and raised to kiss gently.

we sat on the hilltop eating the various snacks that jack prepared for us and listening to the chill music playing from his phone - my favourite was frank ocean's blonde album that jack was now obsessed with because of me.

it was late at night so he loaned me his hoodie, which i would casually bring up to my nose a little to take in the scent i've missed over the past few days.

remembering our distance only made my head fell back into why jack and i haven't been talking all this time.

we haven't even addressed the disagreement that we had.

"when you freaked out about me going to nyu, it made me feel like you didn't believe in me" i suddenly began. "like that feeling where i could absolutely be my self around you disappeared and i had to apologise for having big dreams".

"i'm sorr—".

"wait" i politely told him. "i just need to know that it was only because you were scared of loosing me, not because you think my dreams are stupid".

"i believe in you one hundred percent, dakota" jack held my hands that were slightly hidden under the sleeves of his hoodie. "there's no doubt that you'll smash it in new york and love it there, which just made me think that there wouldn't be an us anymore".

he continued, "you're smart and beautiful, and i want you to dream big and tell me all about it. i was being selfish and i'm sorry".

my body let out a tiny sigh of relief since jack's apology was everything that i wanted to hear.

"it's okay, i should have told you sooner. but it doesn't matter anymore because i've decided to go to stanford".

his face switched into a pit of worry, "no, no, no, because of me?".

i immediately shook my head, "i don't know what stanford will bring me or how my life will be with a boyfriend a few hours away playing college football, and i like that. nyu was an old dream that's just way too predictable for me now".

jack's hand found my cheek and he rubbed his thumb against it before leaning forward to kiss my lips.

he leant his forehead against mine and sighed deeply.