thirty-seven

dakota's pov

"so your mom's really making you have this dinner?" liam asked whilst sitting up against my headboard with his knees hunched up.

i let out a huge sigh as i stared at my jeans and bardot top in the mirror, "yep".

"why don't you just tell her what happened so you don't have to sit at the same table as him?".

"no" i fixed my hair before walking over to the bed. "our parents have already planned it and they'll be here any minute. i can't turn back now".

liam sat staring at me for a while as i thought about how this dinner would go, almost as if he was trying to figure something out.

"...are you okay?" he questioned. "i could ask your mom if i could stay for dinner if you want, y'know be by your side".

"no, i'm fine" i quickly nodded to assure him. "our movie marathon earlier cheered me up".

liam cringed, "wish i could say the same".

"shut up!" i laughed and harmlessly slapped his arm. "you love disney pixar".

"yeah, sure" unconvincingly, he responded. my eyes widened. "don't hate me if i say no".

"liam!".

"i'm sorry! it's just not my thing".

i folded my arms, pretending to be dramatically hurt by his lie, "but you told me that you loved it".

"no, you love disney pixar! i just pretend to, okay. that's what you do for the people that you love" liam informed.

i could tell that he immediately realised how his words could have come across when i awkwardly cleared my throat and his eyes lightly widened.

"dakota, nate, come down! the gilinskys will be here soon" mom yelled, thankfully interrupting the awkward silence.

"i think my mom is outside to pick me up anyways" liam scratched the back of his neck. we both got up and left my room yet i took a moment at the top of the staircase to breath calmly.

"what's up with you?" nate scoffed out a laugh at my breathing exercises.

"nothing".

"well, i still heard what gilinsky did even though you refused to tell me" he announced, walking down the staircase behind liam and i.

i glared back at him, "then why'd you ask?" sharply, i said.

"could have been something else" he answered. "but he's a dick and i've said that since day one".

i rolled my eyes as i wasn't in the mood for an 'i told you so'.

"yeah well mom doesn't seem to think so - she believes that this dinner will "benefit" mine and jack's status" i grimaced.

nate creased his brows at me, "you haven't told her?".

"she's refusing to" liam jumped in.

"i'm not refusing, i just don't want her to worry" i explained followed by the doorbell ringing.

"i better leave" liam told, picking up his school bag. "i'll see you at school tomorrow, dakota".

he gave me a quick smile and opened the front door to a nicely dressed mr and mrs gilinsky. he politely said hello to them, but brushed past jack without any intention to acknowledge him.