thirty-four

dakota's pov +

"hey" jack smiled hugely as i got into the passenger seat of his car. "i don't know if you're hungry, but my mom bought some mcdonald's breakfast and i'm already full".

he handed me a scrunched up mcdonald's bag, but i shook my head to decline.

"no, i'm good. i already ate" i gave him a small smile.

"sam will most likely eat it" he retrieved back the bag and placed it in the space between us. "that guy eats anything".

the ten minute drive to sam's house was almost completely quiet except for the sound of the mainstream music playing on the morning radio.

i didn't really have much to say. i only spoke when jack asked me questions about what class i have first or if i managed to get through much english study last night.

i just couldn't stop thinking about what crystal told me and then how cagey jack was acting about the texts from all those girls.

when we pulled up outside sam's house, as if on cue, he jogged down his driveway with his backpack and varsity jacket, and opened the backseat door.

"yo crazy kids" he greeted as he stepped inside jack's range rover.

"hey sam, look at what i have for you" jack handed him the mcdonald's bag and i watched his face quite amusingly light up. "i didn't want it, dakota didn't want it, so it's all yours".

sam groaned and instantly grabbed the food, "and this is why i love when you pick me up, man".

jack chuckled as he watched his best friend devour into the hash browns, before turning the wheel to drive out of the parking spot.

"wait, wait, wait" sam stopped him with his mouth full. "you still have one more passenger".

sam nodded his head behind him and we realised what he was talking about when crystal came towards the car too.

"were you seriously going to drive off without me?" she inquired, getting in beside sam.

jack huffed and shook his head, "sam, seriously?!".

"we're neighbours, what was i supposed to do?" he reacted.

"say no!".

"morning dakota" crystal leant over to my seat with a smile grazed across her lips.

"don't talk to her" jack sternly told.

"why are you always so cranky in the mornings?" crystal questioned. "dakota and i are friends, right?".

i shrugged my shoulders as jack's eyes fell on me for an reply, "um, yeah. honestly jack, it's okay. you can take her to school too, i don't mind".

he reached over and lightly squeezed my hand, "you sure?". i nodded and squeezed his hand back.

"see?" crystal retorted. "now, can you drive slowly because i still haven't finished my make up".

crystal began trying to apply mascara to her eyelashes and harshly nudged sam, so that he would move over and give her more arm space.