two

{i changed the main girl's name to dakota, just in case you're confused}

jack +

i came into the locker room after school since we had another practice, before the big game tomorrow.

"so, i saw nate and crystal going home together" sam informed me, as i pulled off my shirt and began to get changed.

"and why are you telling me this?".

"because you should do the same, bro. get a new girl and show her what she's missing" he said, patting my shoulder.

"i don't need to show crystal what she's missing, because i'm done with her. i'm never going down that road again" i explained as i put on my football jersey and sat down to change my shoes.

"well, good. because i already have the perfect girl for you" sam began and showed me a random instagram picture.

"her name's olivia. she's my cousin's best friend. i'd have her for myself, but my cousin wouldn't let me. so, i saved her for you man".

i hesitated for a while - the girl was pretty. she had long red hair, dark eyes, an amazing body, and it wouldn't kill to get to know someone new. even if it is through being set up by my best friend.

i sighed, "fine, okay. what's her number?" i asked, taking my phone out my pocket.

"yes! trust me g, you won't regret it" sam assured, while i copied the number he was showing me onto my phone.

*

dakota +

"mom, i'm home!" i called out, after spending hours at jonah's house.

"in the kitchen!" she responded and i followed her words to see her stirring food on the stove. "how was school?".

"okay, i guess" i said, as i took a cookie out of the cookie jar and began eating it. but before i knew it, nate came past me and snatched the half-eaten cookie from my hands.

"hey!" i complained. "first, you steal jack's girlfriend and now my cookie?".

"i didn't steal anyone's girlfriend - crystal's the one who chose me" he spoke with his mouth full.

even though nate's my cousin, he's been living with my mom and i for about eight years now. his dad passed away when he was younger and his mom aka my mom's sister was just no good.

"any ways, i thought you'd be happy about them breaking up. since you're in love with jack and all" nate mentioned and i didn't even have to look in a mirror to know that my cheeks were turning red.

"i-i'm not in love with him. okay, i'm not" i struggled to deny.

"aw, is this jack as in the young boy from the gilinsky household across the street?" my mom questioned.

"no!" i immediately said.

"oh well, if that's the case you wouldn't mind taking this basket of muffins to their house; jack's mom and i have been discussing recipes" my mom explained and my heart rate drastically increased at the thought of going over there.

"can't nate just take them?".

nate chuckled and took one of the muffins out of the basket, "no way. i hate that kid" he said and left us in the kitchen.

my mom slid the basket across the counter to me and lightly shooed me away. as i opened our front door, i recited how i would speak if jack's parents or sisters opened the door, then recited how i would speak if jack himself opened the door.

either way, i took a deep breath once i reached their house and lightly knocked on the door.

immediately, i heard footsteps approaching before the door quickly swung open, and that was when i could feel my heart in my stomach now.

"hey" jack stood at the door, shirtless and wearing basketball shorts. his hair was a little messy and wet, like he'd just taken a shower. but that thought itself, set goosebumps all over my arms.

"h-hi," i cleared my throat. "hi, sorry, uh, my mom told me to bring these over here for uh, your mom and-".

"wait, i know you from somewhere," jack suddenly interrupted and a small lump grew in my throat at how he didn't even recognise me.

"were you at derek luh's party last week?...or maybe you're the girl who scanned my items at walgreens today..." he continued.

at this point, i just wanted to leave the muffins on the doorstep and walk away before i teared up and embarrassed myself completely.

"hey, i was just kidding" he eventually said and i looked up, then furrowed my brows at him.

"i know that we go to school together, i even saw you at practice earlier. i just did that to lighten the mood, because you seemed nervous" he chuckled.

i helplessly smiled and he smiled back a little too. it didn't seem like jack had anything else left to say, so i took a small step backwards to turn on my heels and leave.

"um...dakota, right?" i turned back and nodded my head a little too eagerly. "yeah, the muffins?" jack pointed at the basket still in my hands.

"oh right, sorry, here" i handed them to him and with his free hand, he gave me a slight wave and then shut the door behind him.

i walked back to my house with a tiny smile of relief on my face - that was the first proper conversation that jack and i have had in a while, that wasn't about homework or a project due date.

i mean, i'm just glad that he even remembered my name after all these years.

-

vote, comment and share.