forty

**NEXT CHAPTER WILL BE PART ONE OF THE EPILOGUE BBYS🌹

dakota's pov +

"what?" i choked out.

"i love you, and i'm not just saying that because i don't want you to leave or because i want you to forgive me but because i mean it" jack continued.

my lips moved but no words were coming out as i tried to comprehend what he just confessed to me.

"no, i can't" i shook my head and started walking away from him. "i'm sorry".

"dakota!" jack's voice called, cracking slightly as he spoke.

i jogged down the hallways and slowed down once i was out of jack's sight and around the corner. i continued walking and took my phone out to text my friends that i was leaving, but looked up once i heard the girls' bathroom door close.

crystal walked out, dusting off her skinny jeans. i ignored every inch of her and casually past until i heard her mutter under her breath.

"trash" she said.

i put my phone away and paused on the spot, "call me something insulting again, i dare you because i've had enough of this".

she laughed at my words, causing me to march towards her and pull her shoulder back.

she yanked out of my hold, "don't touch me, bitch!".

my fist couldn't help itself and swung directly into crystal's face, knocking her against the lockers.

"ow! you fucking pyscho!" she screamed as i shook my hand in pain. "that's going to bruise my face, i have a photoshoot this weekend!".

"fuck you, crystal harris!" i said through gritted teeth.

she pushed past me and hurried back into to the bathroom. i wasn't concerned that she could press charges with the help of her daddy - all i wanted was to get home and try my best to forgot about today.

jack's pov +

after the football game with hudson high rhinos gladly winning, i was distracted as i was in the locker room changing and showering.

my friends knew what was up and they knew it was about dakota, so they advised that i go and talk to her to settle things once and for all.

i arrived at her house and got out of my car, seeing liam heading towards her door too.

"here for dakota?" i spoke up.

"yeah, she texted saying she needed to hang out, clearly upset about something" he replied.

i guiltily looked down at my feet.

"shouldn't you be at a football game or something?" he added.

"it's over - uh, rhinos won" i explained, before something else took over my thoughts. "...look, you're a guy?".

"since birth, yes".

i pulled my hands down my face, "i don't know what i did wrong, man".

liam frowned, "am i, the awkward outsider kid, supposed to give the most popular guy in my school advice right now?".

"dakota and i kissed during halftime, then i told her that i loved her".

he indiscreetly moved uncomfortably, "you did?".

"yeah and she just freaked out and left me standing t—".

"okay, let me just stop you right there" he cut me off. "we're not the best of friends so i don't want this to take any longer than it has to, but i've known dakota since kindergarten and i know that she's just scared".