epilogue: part two

dakota's pov +

days past and it has honestly been the best few days that i've had in a long time.

not to be cliche, but jack makes me feel like i'm the only girl in the world and every second that i spend with him i fall in love with him even more.

it's been great hanging out with his friends too, alongside my own. months ago, this would have seemed like a joke to me, but everyone gets on so well that it sucks that finals will be over, graduation will come up and we'll all be off at college soon.

i walked down the staircase with jonah following behind as he went on about my upcoming eighteenth birthday.

"but it's all the way next week" i groaned.

"and that basically gives us no time to think of what to do" he responds as we reached the ground.

"i don't want a party".

"you're turning eighteen, you are dating the most popular guy at our school, we're friends with the jocks now, so you're getting a fucking party" jonah insisted. "kelsey's picking us up soon to go for lunch and brainstorm".

i sighed, knowing he wouldn't take no for an answer. "if you say so".

"dakota," nate walked in from the kitchen, sorting through the mail in his hands. "there's a letter for you".

i frowned and took the envelope, "a letter? from who?".

"how should i know?".

i rolled my eyes at his reply, then began ripping open the letter to read the words under 'dear miss dakota richards'.

"i got in...i got into nyu!" i loudly squealed with excitement.

"congratulations!" jonah exclaimed, reading the letter over my shoulder. "i'm so proud of you, dee!".

my best friend hugged me tightly as i could barely believe what just happened.

"this is crazy. when i applied, i didn't think they would actually accept me" i said.

"i'm gonna miss you so much when you're living life in the big apple" jonah pouted.

"i don't know if i'll go yet though. i mean, i still have my offer from stanford".

"i thought you were over that?" he questioned. "and nyu is where you were set on?".

"i know" i shrugged, then bit my lip with guilt. "but...what about jack?".

nate interrupted our conversation with a scoff, "you're seriously going to turn down nyu for your boyfriend?".

"i never said i'll turn it down" i immediately corrected. "but i can't just leave for the other side of the country".

"you have to talk to him about it soon, dee" jonah suggested.

i nodded to agree as i thought about how jack would take it - whether he'd be happy for me or disappointed that his new relationship will turn long distance, or end all together.