sixteen

dakota's pov +

i returned back upstairs to see that jack wasn't where i left him, so i came back down with his two shots in my hands then spotted sam through the large crowd.

"sam," i tried to get his attention over the music as he sat surrounded by a bunch of girls. "sam, have you seen jack?".

"he's gone outside to wait for that girl" he finally answered me, so i walked back through the crowd and towards the front door.

i came outside and saw jack sitting on one of the steps that lead up to the house.

"hey" i handed him the glasses and sat beside him. "i got you two".

"thanks" he said before downing them both in less than ten seconds. "and actually, it's great that you're here. i need a friendly face to keep me sane right now".

i somewhat smiled at him before we both sat quietly under the dark, hearing the beats of the loud music playing from inside.

my strong feeling of guilt continued to grow as i watched jack wait for something that was never going to arrive. but i knew that i'd have to let go of this lie sooner or later.

"why do you like this olivia?" i suddenly inquired. "i'm just curious, i mean, you've never even met her or heard her voice".

jack dropped his head as he chuckled to myself lightly.

"wow, it sounds more stupid when someone else says it aloud. but i guess it's because she's easy to talk to, like i feel as though i can tell her anything....she tells me things too, which just shows that she trusts me as well. um, she's funny, she knows how to take a joke and we have similar interests too".

jack began to tell me all the things that he admired about the girl i was pretending to be with this shy smile staying plastered on his face.

"...she's passionate too like really passionate about her future and about society in general. she's also had a rough past and i don't know, maybe that's why she's so hesitant about talking on the phone and things because it's hard for her to let people in" he added.

and suddenly, it felt so weird to have someone who understood me this much.

"sorry, you asked one question and i went on and on" jack shook his head.

"no, no, it's fine. i'm interested".

"but be honest with me, dakota, because these days i feel like you're the only one who ever is," he turned to me and i gulped a little. "am i being ridiculous? is wanting a girl that i've only sent words to worth it?".

i could easily take this chance to say no and help jack distance himself from olivia, just like jonah advised.

but then i stared at his face and the way his dark eyes lit up, and how he could barely suppress a smile when he talked about olivia - there's no way i could crush that. not yet.

i took a small breath, closing my eyes for a few seconds, "yes, it is. if you feel like she's the one then sure".

he nodded and warmly smiled, "okay. thanks".

jack began to shake his leg up and down impatiently as he stared out at the street to see if any cars were coming along.

"maybe i should call her. i know she always denies it, but it's worth a shot" he told and at this moment, i was glad that i had left my bag back inside the house.