Chapter 2: redemption

It was the last morning of school. After today, it would be summer. I had to make it count.

Slipping into a new outfit and applying concealer to my early morning bags, I scooped up my coat and was out the door. I joyously skipped down the sidewalk, ready for anything life threw my way.

Once I arrived to my bus stop, something strange popped into my head. Theo. The boy who cut his wrist right in front of me. The boy who I should be there for. My face lit up. The boy who rode my bus. Of course, that's it.

Calmly walking over to him, his back turned to me, I tapped him on the shoulder. His warm brown eyes met mine. I greeted him with a smile. "Adeline. Your back." He smiled in return. "Where have you been, you haven't been riding the bus?" He looked confused. "I'm sorry. Theo, I shouldn't have made a scene about when you... You know..." I pondered. "Yeah, of course. No I get it." He shrugged, shaking his head. His brown hair gleamed in the blurry street light. "I should've just... I don't know. I tried to stop you but you just didn't listen." I shook my head with guilt. "No, I get it. I get it. I'm not the most likable person sometimes." He insisted. "Yes, you are." I lowered my gaze. He had asked me out once before but I was going through a lot and couldn't honestly handle both his problems and mine. I told him he was like a brother to me... Which was partially true. He just hugged me. I stood awkwardly. "I haven't done it since." And then he let go. "So are we friends again?" I raised an eyebrow. "Up to you." He looked over my head. He was much taller than me. "Friends." I nodded.

The bus pulled up, opening its glass door. I sighed with relief, knowing it would be the last time in a long time I'd board this bus. Summer. Theo took a vacant seat a few rows from the front. I calmly joined him. He smiled a friendly smile. We talked like old times, like nothing had changed. I missed this. Talking to him like nothing. He told his effortlessly funny jokes and made me laugh naturally. I didn't fake laughs around him, all of them were sincere. He was a grade ahead of me so when the bus came to a stop, we both went in separate directions.

I entered the school just as the bell had rang. Calmly drifting up the stairwell to a vast hallway of kids and familiar faces, I made my way to my locker. It was already considerably empty since we had cleaned most of it out the week before, knowing school was almost out. I sighed with relief once more. Grabbing an apple on my way to class, I stopped at Kats locker.

Ian, Cody and Jessica were already there, laughing at some joke Cody had just made. Biting into my apple, I chewed silently, listening to their conversation. Kat greeted me with a smile, closing her locker and planting a kiss on Cody's lips. He grabbed her hips, bringing her in for another. She blushed in return, fluffing her hair effortlessly. His eyes glimmered as she turned to me. "Hey!" She smiled warmly once more. "Hey." I forced a smile as well.

Kat was rambling, I was half listening but half not. My eyes caught sight of a nearby guy walking down the hallway. He was tall with lighter hair and eyes. I didn't know much about him or why he caught my attention but he did. His eyes met with mine as he flashed a smile. I smiled in return. "Adeline? Are you listening?" Kat redirected my attention. "Yeah. What? Sorry." I shook my head, meeting her eyes once more. She turned to look at the guy, him still looking at me. I had wondered why, I'd never noticed him look at me before today. Kat smiled with delight. "You like him." She returned to me. "What? No I-" I denied it. But maybe she was right. "You do." She smiled wider. I sighed, not bothering to try any harder.

Cody latched on to mine and Kats conversation, Ian and Jessica walking hand in hand the opposite direction. It felt so weird to be surrounded by all these couples as I sat independently, being the annoying third wheel. Which was fine by me, I liked my independence.

"Wait. Who does Adeline like?" Cody butted in, smiling. "Someone." Kat crossed her arms with satisfaction. She liked to know things others didn't. "C'mon, tell me" Cody pressed on. "I don't like anyone." I assured him. "She's lying." Kat stated matter of factly. "Well come one. Spill." Cody began walking backwards, standing in front of us with his arms crossed just like Kat's. "No one." I mumbled once more, passing the guy Kat was talking about. She flashed a smile in my direction. I shook my head with dismay.

Cody grabbed Kats waist once more, pulling her closer. Dragging his fingers against her cheek, he tucked a stand of hair behind her ear. I awkwardly stood off to the side. "Tell me." He smiled, nearing her nose to nose. She blushed and then shook her head. "No fair. You can't try to dazzle me to tell you." Kat playfully pushed him off. He groaned in return. "I'm gonna find out." He assured us, entering a nearby classroom and waving us goodbye.

Kat and I walked to class, talking about nothing in particular. The day went by fast, a lot of goodbye hugs and tears of sadness and joy that summer was here. A lot of fake people acting casually fake, saying they would miss me and to have a good summer. I became fake in return, wishing them a happy summer as well, knowing neither of us could truly care about one and others summer.

I decided to walk home, skipping the bus. The sun radiated heat off the sidewalk, tanning my skin. My hair was darker now, changing with the seasons for some odd reason. My inner Indian only shown in summer times, allowing me to look decent in summers. Breathing in the warm air, I thought to myself, what a great year this has been. And I meant it.