Chapter 33: Detention

The spring fling ended up being rescheduled for the week after. Kat, Cody, Jake and I almost got suspended but luckily, our principle settled on the after school detention. It had been a whole 24 hours since Kat's fight. We found out that the girls name was Mariah and she had babysat Cody's little sister before. Kat didn't seem too happy to figure that out but eventually, she got over it. Everything went back to normal, despite the detentions.

It was 11:40 a.m. and I was on my way to calculus when I stopped at my locker. Not too far down, Jake twisted in his combination. I stood for a moment, contemplating whether I should talk to him or not. After a brief hesitation, I shut my locker. My shoes clicked below me as I walked down the hallway, only seconds from standing beside him.

The only thing between us now was his locker door. I wondered if he even noticed I was standing there. I heard him fumble around for a few moments, his locker door shutting as he turned in the opposite direction. His back to me, I watched as I made eye contact with an average sized girl a few inches taller than me, smiling widely in his direction. I seen his cheeks twist into a smile. Her long, straight brown hair flipped over her shoulder. She was almost as tan as he was, they could pass for distant relatives but by their body language and facial expressions, they defiantly weren't.

Tucking a strand of hair behind her ear, she peered up at him with her nose crinkled. Suddenly realizing that I didn't belong where I was, I spun on my heels as I cleared my throat. I began to walk off as I ducked my head low. Jake turned to me as I turned away, my "ehem" catching his attention. "Adeline?" He asked with confusion. I didn't answer, not even looking at him. I didn't want to butt into whatever he had going on, I didn't want to burden them. Tucking my books under my arm, I awkwardly entered class.

Kat sitting in her usual seat, waited for me with a smile. Unfortunately, I had Jake in this class as well, so I assumed he'd walk in at any given time. Sitting down in my seat like nothing happened, I glanced up at Kat's joyous face. "What's got the pep in your step, Kat?" I laugh. "Your going to the waterhole after detention, right? The weather is perfect today and almost everyone is going! Wait, never mind. That's wasn't a question. I'll see you there because you have no choice but to go." Kat rambled on. "Ugh, Kat. You know me, I'm not into that kind of thing." I groan. "C'mon, Ads. It'll be fun, I swear!" Kat slammed her fists onto her desk. "Whatever." I let her win. "Yes!" She squealed just as Jake entered the room, waving off the girl behind him. She was really skinny, a few curves here and there. It was kind of intimidating but she didn't look familiar. I assumed she was new. Jake took the desk beside me.

"Pst. Adeline!" Jake whispered. I directed my attention to him, Kat staring in disbelief. I had swore to her that I'd never talk to him again, and I swore it repeatedly. But we both knew I hadn't mean't it. It wasn't that easy. "Hm?" I looked up, pretending to be oblivious. "Was that you that I saw a few minutes ago by my locker?" He raised an eyebrow. "Oh yeah, that. It was me, I was just seeing if you were um... Going to the waterhole today." I lied, knowing I had only found out about the waterhole a few moments ago. "Oh, yeah. Yeah, I'm going. Are you?" He asked. "Most likely. I don't think Kat is giving me a choice." I sighed. "Oh, well maybe I'll see you there." He stated. I doubted it, though. He was just trying to get through his conversation. "Yeah, maybe." I played along, not wanting to waste anymore of either of our time.

     The bell rang as I scrambled to my feet. All I wanted was for school to be done with and it had only just begun a short time ago. Summer was calling my name.

     After calculus was lunch. I sat down where I usually sit, surrounded by all of my closest friends. Kat sat a few seats down, shoving grapes in her mouth between her kisses with Cody. He blushed every time, his face redder than a cherry. I sat between Jasper and Todd, both of them having a miniature food fight above my head. I ducked and dodged between laughs as little chunks of carrots flew in every direction. One slapped me in the cheek as I scrambled to my feet, my lunch tray in my hand. Todd and Jasper laughed along, randomly pelting each other with foods. My food untouched, I threw away my tray. I just wasn't hungry, my mind was elsewhere. Zack bounced a basketball over in our direction, the ball swishing between his legs. Cody jumped up, bumping Paris as she spilled milk onto the table. Cody swiped at the ball, dribbling it to the other side of the table as the brown liquid spread. Paris groaned, slapping the empty milk carton onto her messy tray. Kat covered her mouth, hiding her giggles as she wiped up the mess. Cody laughed, apologizing to Paris. Malory and Beatrice took snapchats with each other, sticking their tongues out as Maya photo bombed. The rest of lunch was chaotic, the whole school day whizzing by up until detention.