Chapter 15: "I dont know."

I was awake now. But I wasn't. I see myself, laying on the bed in the hospital. My friends with bruises and cuts surrounding me, some pacing. Some biting their lips or nails. Some crying. And I see myself. My eyes closed gently, my pale body laying limp on the bed, tubes, wires and needles puncturing my skin, bandages and stitches of all kinds covering me. I see my parents, my siblings, heads bowed whispering Slightly: lord help us. Lord help our dear Adeline find her way back. I see a heart monitor beeping slowly. My purple lips and under eye circles staring me back in the face as I hunch over my body. I scan the faces in the room. Where is Kat? Where is Jessica? Or Beatrice or Cody?

I start to panic, the heart monitor picking up pace. My body is flailing now as I watch. My friends and family stare in horror as the body in front of me flails and thrashes, eyes still drawn shut. My dad runs out into the hallway, brushing me slightly. "Doctor! Someone! Anyone! We need help, help now!" He screams at the top of his lungs. My mothers screaming now, my brothers face buried into her stomach as he wheezes. "Hey. Hey. It's okay... I'm here. It's okay." I assure him. But almost as I'm not even there, he ignores me.

A doctor rushes in, demanding for everyone to leave the room. They run out in panic. I'm shoved out the door, avoiding the mob of loved ones. They sit in chairs just outside of the door I was being operated behind. Was any of this real?

Kat. Jessica. Beatrice. Cody. I had to find them. I ran down the hallways, passing calm faces. It was almost as if I were invisible. "Kat!" I screamed between breaths. "Jessica?" I scream more. "Beatrice!" I scream louder. "Cody?" I am almost breathless now. As I turn a corner, my face meets with two. Kat and Cody, arms wrapped around each other. Kat removes her face from his chest, her swollen eyes meeting with his. Cody's eyebrow and lip slit open, he looks down at her, a sadness stretching across his once happy face. "Do you think she will make it?" Kat's voice cracks. "I wish I knew... But I don't. I really hope so." He brings her in tighter. I sigh with desperation. "But I'm right here." I mumble.

I frantically run to the hospital entrance, the glass doors revealing Jessica and Beatrice sitting on a bench outside. I couldn't hear what they were saying so I attempted to make my way to them but as I tried to exit the glass doors, an almost invisible barrier like thing stopped me. I pushed my hand against the invisible nothingness. I was stuck. Beatrice hugged Jessica in front of my vision, I heard Jessica's phone go off. I sat on a chair in the waiting room, watching them from inside. I hope they don't leave me. Jessica answers her phone, she's talking to someone. I bite my lip. What if I don't make it out of this?

A car pulls up to the hospital entrance, Jessica running to it. The car door opens as a guy steps out. He's wearing sunglasses and a grey sweatshirt along with plain jeans and sneakers. My jaw drops. There he was. Jake. Jessica began talking to him as he removed his sunglasses. I tried desperately to hear what they were saying but all I could make out were brief muffles. The glass doors slid open as they breezed past me. I caught up with them, walking effortlessly by their side. "This is not good." Jake ran ahead, leaving Beatrice and Jessica. "I don't know if I can handle losing her." Beatrice choked. "I know I can't." Jessica began tearing up some more. I ran to jakes side, curiously gazing into his eyes. He looked right through me, quickening his pace. I almost forget all the nightmares over him in that brief second of seeing him there.

The doctor exited the operating room, shutting the door behind him. Jake stopped in his tracks, grabbing the doctor by his shoulders. "Will she be okay?" He raised an eyebrow. "I don't know... I honestly don't know. But I regret to inform you that it is highly unlikely she will make it through the night." The doctors words stabbed into me like a knife. Jake spins on his heels, his fist flying out and connecting to the wall. I leave him to grieve, preparing my goodbyes to my friends. Even if they couldn't truly hear me, I had some things to say.