Chapter 10: Plane

The days passed quickly, and soon enough, Malory was in my doorstep beckoning me to Kat's van. I lugged my jam packed suit case down my front porch steps and stuffed it in with the other bags. All of my friends sat, hunched together in the van. I squeezed in with excitement.

Kat drove and Cody sat passenger, like most times. Cody was scrolling through radio channels, annoying Kat with every twist of the knob or click of a button. "Just pick a song!" She snapped. "Okay, okay." He laughed. He looked at her with a daring grin, and clicked two more stations. "Cody, for crying out loud!" Kat sighed. "Fine." He groaned, clicking one more button. Kat chuckled. "Thank you." She calmed. "Totally." He shrugged.

I was next to Beatrice and Malory, Malory messaging her new boy interest on her phone, Beatrice having a thumb war with Jessica from behind her. "Happy late birthday! I never got to say it." Ian tapped my shoulder. "Thanks." I nodded. Malory gasped. "Oh, right! Ready guys? One... Two... Three!" Malory counted down. I was confused as ever until the car rang out with their voices singing me happy birthday. "Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday dear Adeline! Happy birthday to you!" They all laughed, Cody adding in a "cha-cha-cha!" At the end. "Wow, nice guys." I laughed. "Sorry, we suck at singing." Beatrice shrugged with a laugh. "No, no! It was amazing. The best happy birthday ever sung to me." I nodded, laughing once more.

Jessica snapped a picture of me, captioning it "happy birthday, Ads!" With heart emoticons and symbols. Kat pulled out her Polaroid and snapped a picture of all of us. Scrapbook material.

Soon enough, we were at the airport. I was scared to admit I had never been on a plane and was terribly scared of heights. Although, I did like to have that sense of rush. Seconds ticked by and we were now boarding the plane. I stopped cautiously at the bottom of the stairs, I was the last left. Round trip to Paris, not refundable. I had to do it. I shook my head with a gulp. "You coming?" Todd called to me. "Yes." I croaked. "Here goes nothing." I mumbled, pushing away my fears and forcing my legs to board the steps, we sat first class. My row of seats contained Kat, Cody, Pheonix and I. The row next to us were Alaina, Jasper, Jessica and Ian. The rows behind and in front of us filled up with the rest of our friends. A flight attendant passed out waters and tiny bags of peanuts or pretzels. I thanked her gratefully, munching on some pretzels.

In an instant, the plane began to vibrate. I was closest to the window. Looking through the glass, I realized we were moving. I tried to hide the fact that my hands were gripping the seat so hard that they were now turning a pale white color. All at once, we rose above the puffs of clouds, every building or person turning into tiny ants from our distance and angle. Here we come, Paris.

Most of the plane ride was silent. Kat was curled up with her head on Cody's shoulder, his head on hers as they both wrapped up into a blanket and dozed off into sleep. The rest, either sleeping already or tapping on their phones quietly with earbuds shoved into their ears. Eventually, I got used to the floating sensation of being above the clouds. There's a first time for everything.

Time passed slowly, I began counting down the hours until we got to Paris from Wyoming which only slowed the time more. Eventually, the numbers got jumbled and unclear. Darkness began to swallow me which I knew that meant I needed to sleep. So sleep, I did. Peacefully.