Chapter 34: Waterhole

Once I got home, I immediately began getting ready to go to the waterhole. Running upstairs, I flew into my room. I threw on a bikini and a t-shirt, pulling up a pair of shorts as well. Throwing my hair into a messy bun, I was ready.

     Usually I wouldn't be too excited to wear a bikini, but I had lost a couple of pounds in the past month which gave me a more positive outlook of things. I had been keeping up with my daily runs recently and it was really impacting how many calories I burned each day, not to mention my healthier food choices.

     After glancing in the mirror, I sighed. Was all it really worth all the effort? Yes.

     Popping in earbuds, I began one of my playlists. Sliding on a pair of converse, I was out the door. I decided I'd jog there, now that I was exercising I wanted to do it more often. I enjoyed it.

     My shoes thudded to the ground, the gravel scraping beneath me. I felt my bun tugging in all directions as I bounced across the road. Music echoed through my eardrums as I got closer and closer to my destination. I felt the sweat running down the back of my neck. My legs burned, the intensity swallowing me. I loved the feeling I got when running.

     Plucking out my earbuds, I slowed my pace as I shuffled across the gravel towards a large amount of laughter and music. I slowed to a walk as I entered the forest trail leading to the waterhole. Birds chirped, the air smelling like the sweet scent of pine needles and wood. The dirt trail stretched further and further into the groves of trees.

     With each step I took, the voices got louder. My heart thumped with excitement. Today was going to be great, that I was sure of.

     Another trail broke off to the side, a group of people laughing as they made their way closer to the larger trail. I squinted my eyes, trying to see who it was. Instantly, the faces looked familiar. It was Beatrice, Max, Alaina and Renee. Besides for Beatrice, I hadn't talked to them in a while. I figured it was a great time to reconnect.

     I stopped, waving to them. They jogged closer, smiling widely. "Hey, guys!" I greeted them. "Hey!" Renee put a hand on her hip as she smiled brightly.

     Renee was one of the people I had used to hang out with, but we hadn't stayed as close as we were. She combed her medium length brown hair out of her eyes, the locks falling effortlessly over her shoulder. Her brown eyes twinkled as she glanced over at Max, kissing his cheek. I hadn't known Max too well but I thought he was pretty cool. His brown hair glistened in the sunlight, the rays cascading through the trees. His cheeks reddened as he slung his arm around her. Alaina had dated Jasper a while back, but we were still pretty good friends. "Hey." She smiled with excitement. Beatrice nodded. "Are you guys going to the waterhole?" I asked them curiously. "Yeah, actually we are headed there now." Max nodded. "Oh, sweet! Me, too." I motioned in the direction of the noise. "Awesome. Wanna hang out together?" Alaina asked. "Sure, I was planning on hanging out with Kat, Cody, Malory, Jessica, Paris, Maya, Jasper, Todd and Zack as well. I'm sure they won't mind if you guys tag along?" I invited. "Yeah, sounds fun!" Renee lit up. "Okay, awesome." I began making my way closer to the laughter. They followed close behind.

     Soon enough, we emerged into a clearing full of people from our school. Beer bottles and red solo cups were scattered about as people drank from them. A herd of people were standing atop a cluster of rocks, taking turns clinging to a rope as they pushed each other over the calm waters of the pond. It was considerably large, big enough for three quarters of the school to fit in with a three foot space between each other. Music blared, Renee jumping up and down. "Awesome!" Beatrice scanned the area.

     I scanned the groups of people in search for my friends, eventually finding them off to the side on beach towels. Paris, Malory and Kat lay sprawled out as the bright sun darkened their skin. I rubbed my hands together with excitement. Cody sat at the edge of Kat's towel, tracing her arm with his fingers. Water droplets spread out over their skin. Todd, Jasper and Zack jogged over, hopping out of the water. "Finally! We have been waiting for you!" Jasper laughed, shaking out his curly hair. "Sorry, I jogged here. But anyways, do you mind if Beatrice, Alaina, Max and Renee join us?" I ask. "Of course not! Welcome, welcome." Todd circled his arms. "Hey, where's Maya and Jessica?" I asked, glancing around. "Oh, yeah. They are over there, Jessica is helping Maya talk to that guy. I think his name is Jonas or something." Cody pointed over to a tree, Maya laughing as the Jonas kid smiled. He had tan skin and messy brown hair. Jessica stood awkwardly off to the side, third wheeling. I smiled sympathetically at her. She waved back.