Chapter 27: Better

I woke up the next day feeling better. I wasn't perfect, but I was better. After throwing on a tie dye t-shirt and leggings, I slipped on a pair of converse. Slinging my bag over my shoulder, I was out the door. The spring breeze hitting me in the face, I breathed in the fresh air. It washed a feeling of calmness over me. Sighing with relief, my curly hair bounced with my steps. I was ready for today, no matter what happened.

Eventually, after what seemed like forever of walking, I made it to the front entrance of the school. Malory and Jessica sat, waiting for my arrival. "Okay so, this Friday is the spring fling and we have so much to do and so much to prepare for, where do we start?" Jessica squealed with excitement, her words flowing swiftly from her mouth. "Slow your horses. We have all week, I don't really have anything planned yet." I shrugged, laughing. "Well, we will need dresses." Malory states. "And shoes." Jessica added. "We need our hair done." Malory continued. "And our makeup." Jessica shrugged. "We need dates." Malory smiled. "Guys, guys. Slow down. I know, I know, but can we just plan this all later when I'm not in a rush to get to class?" I laughed, interrupting them. "Ugh. Fine." Malory moaned. "Thank you." I sigh, nodding. Malory waves goodbye as Jessica and I stop at our lockers.

Punching in my combination, my locker popped open. Throwing my bags in and grabbing my things, I slammed my locker shut. "How was your weekend?" Jessica asked. "Fine." I sighed, brushing off yesterday's storm. "How was yours?" I add. "It was good. Where were you though? You weren't at Malory's party." Jessica asks curiously. "Wasn't invited." I shrug, pretending it wasn't a big deal. "Oh, do you know why?" Jessica raises an eyebrow. "Nope, and I don't really care." I leave her, heading to class.

Once entering my first class, I sit between Kat and Cody's desk. Kat is out of her seat, sitting on Cody's desk as she plays with his blonde hair. "You two seem happy." I laugh. "Just thinking about the dance." Kat stares intently into Cody's eyes. "Which will be amazing, as long as I'm with you." Cody smiles brightly, poking Kat's nose playfully. She giggles in return. I laugh, directing my attention to the teacher. Kat scrambles to her seat.

"Are you running this year?" Kat whispers over the teachers voice. "For?" I ask. "Spring fling queen, of course!" Kat smiles. "Well, actually I think I will." I decide, returning the smile. Kat's face lights up with surprise. "Really? Awesome, me too!" She smiles. "Awesome sauce." I laugh. "Adeline?" The teacher interrupts. "Hm?" I direct my attention to the teacher awkwardly. "Is what you have to say to Kat something you'd like to share with the class?" He grimaces. "Um.. No, thanks though." I smile, playing it off. "Okay, then please... Quiet down." He states sternly. "Yep." I sigh. "Sorry.." Kat whispers meekly. I nod to her as our classmates smirk.

An announcement rings out, echoing through the room from the loud speaker. "Staff and students please excuse this interruption, all girls who plan on running for spring fling queen please head down to the auditorium immediately after this announcement, thank you." A voice speaks. Me and Kat glance at each other, gathering our things. Our teacher nods to us on our way out. We enter the hallway, meeting up with Paris and Malory as they exit a classroom a few doors down. "Hey." Kat greets them with a perky smile. "Hey." Paris smiles with excitement. "Is Jessica and Beatrice running?" I ask curiously. "No, but the new girl we met in the woods a few weeks back is." Paris nods. "Oh, what was her name again?" I ask, shrugging. "Maya." Malory states. "She's pretty cool." Malory adds. "Yeah, I heard she has been talking to Beatrice. We could have Beatrice invite her to one of our group things if everyone wants." Kat shrugs. "Sure, that sounds good. Wasn't she invited to your party, Malory?" I ask, trying to remain calm. "Yeah..." Malory trails off. "Oh." I smile edgily. Kat glances at me. Everything goes silent for a few moments.

We round a corner, our footsteps bouncing through the hallways. We pass many lockers, I read the names as we go. Some I recognize and others I don't. I wondered who would vote for me and who wouldn't, I didn't mind either way. Out of the four of us, I wasn't sure who was going to win. Maybe none of us would, although, one of us was bound to. I hoped it was one of my friends.

Once we made it to the auditorium, we took our seats and sat quietly. I break the silence. "No matter what happens, no matter who wins, this can't drive a wedge in any of our friendships, okay?" I bite my lip. "Okay." Everyone nods. "Yeah, good idea." Paris drums her fingers nervously. Kat plays with her hair in silence. Malory pops a piece of gum in her mouth, tapping her foot. Everything quiets down as one of the female teachers enters the stage.

"Thank you, all of you for having the courage, the bravery and the honor of participating in our spring fling queen contest. Sadly, I have to inform you that not all of you will leave with a crown. In fact, only three of you will. First place gets queen and a larger crown as second and third place takes a smaller crown and no title. Not everyone here can win and I really hope that no tears will be shed. We all must be mature and sophisticated young women, which I am sure we are all capable of doing." She explains. "Now, getting to the good stuff. This years contest has been modified a bit differently from last years. Instead of just running, you will all participate in an event in which you will attend with one of the king contestants and you will dance on stage. After that event, you will say a short speech and voting will be taking place. At the actual fling, the votes will be tallied and the three winners will be announced. All contestants will be honored in some way but only one will receive the honor of being queen. Any questions?" She finishes. A few hands raise and their questions are answered. My eyes twitch, my lids growing heavy. Sleep calls my name. Kat nudges me awake. I shake my head, straightening my posture. Eventually, we are dismissed. Everyone floods into the hallway, laughing and talking the entire time. "How exciting! This is going to be so much fun!" Paris squeals. "Yes, oh my gosh! I'm so excited!" Kat squeals with her. I laugh, bouncing with them. "I literally can not wait for the dance event!" Malory smiles with joy. "Yes, same!" Paris smiles brightly.

Kat and I reach our class, entering quietly. Cody winks at Kat as she strolls across the room. The whole spring fling contest seemed overwhelming to me, none of my worries were anything like this before. It seemed so childish, so unreal that I could go from worrying about whether I was going to die to worrying about whether I was going to make queen or not. Everything was going by so fast, everyone was watching me as I entered the class, everything changed in that moment. In that moment, I gathered all the sadness and grieve and worry, bottled it up and made it disappear. Happiness swallowed over me, my life slowly changing back to normal. I couldn't wait for what was next to come.