Chapter 21: Relationships

My alarm rings out. It's 6:00 A.M. and the sun is just barely peeking over the horizon outside my bedroom window. Yawning, I stretch out and rub my tiresome eyes. Birds chirp, soon they will fly south and leave here before the cold takes over. It's early Autumn now, the year is flying by.

     Most days were the same; eat, sleep, school, read, repeat. School being utterly boring and draining every last bit of life out of my tiresome self. Nothing new ever happened... Accept for today, however.

     I wake up, dragging myself out of my bedroom and into the hallway still half asleep. I'm the only one awake at this time, leaving the house silent as can be. I cram a granola bar down my throat and head to the bathroom with a yawn. After five minutes of debate, I decide to curl my hair. Brushing my teeth, I flip my hair in every direction to keep the messy look. My outfit, I pair knee high boots with ankle warmers and leggings with a baggy, long sleeve shirt. I didn't usually dress up much, but today I just had a good feeling.

     Eventually I end up at school, after avoiding the road I usually use in case of seeing Jake. We hadn't talked since the last time he was over, which I expected. Once I get to school, Kat and Cody are waiting for me at the door. They greet me with smiles, Kats head on Cody's shoulder and his arm around her waist. "So Ads... Are you going to Paris and Jessica's party tonight?" Kat wonders, even though it wasn't actually a question. She'd make me go anyhow. "Are you even asking?" I sigh. "Nope. I'll see you there." She skips away joyously. I snicker to myself.

     Cody still hunched against the wall, stops me. "So Adeline, I think we shouldn't talk as much anymore." He bites his lip. "Um... What? Why?" I ask confused. "Well Kat... She uh... When we talk like we do, it comes off a bit different to her and well... I don't know. Don't take me the wrong way, I just don't want to lose her." He speaks honestly. "Oh, okay. Yeah, I understand." Although I didn't.

     I get to my first class, Jasper unusually sad looking and slouching in his chair. I sit next to him, hesitating to speak. "What's wrong?" I raise an eyebrow. "I broke up with Alaina." He whispers. "What? Why?" I bite my lip with sympathy. "She doesn't seem to like me anymore, I feel like she just stopped." He admits. "Oh." I don't know what to say to him, so that's all that comes out. We are silent for a bit, the teacher directing our attention to the board.

     When class is over, I stop in the girls locker room. Jessica is waiting for me there. Her face beat red, she sighs. She's hunched against a locker. "What's up?" I ask concerned. "Well... Ian has been..." She starts. "Clingy." I interrupt, knowing the answer. "Yes! Very." She sighs. "Well what are you going to do?" I worry. "I honestly don't know at this point, I like him... A lot. But he never gives me any time to myself." She admits. Ian's voice rings from outside the door, "Jessica? Are you in there? We can walk to lunch together." I crinkle my nose with disapproval. "I gotta go." She grumbles, exiting the locker room. "Okay." I call back, deep in thought.

     As I walk down the hallway, Todd and Cody capture my attention from the music room. Their alone, both hunched over a piece of paper as they scribble down words. My boots stop clicking beneath my feet as I peer through the door window. Opening, I enter silently.  Their both rhyming at high speed. Rapping, if you will. I listen for a bit, silently creeping closer to them. Suddenly, my boot gets caught on a chair as I stumble forward. Shit.

     They both jump, looking in my direction. "You didn't hear any of that, did you?" Cody worries. "Your rap? Only a little. Honestly, I just got here." I shrug. "Yeah, Cody. I showed Ads some of my rhymes back when we went camping." Todd relaxes. "I didn't know Cody rapped, too?" I raise an eyebrow as I sit down in a nearby chair. "Yeah... I do." He sighs. "Y'all both have some talent. Can I hear?" I ask intently. "I don't know about that..." Cody starts. "Yes, you can." Todd answers for Cody. "Sweet. Whenever your ready..." I gesture in their direction. Cody hesitates, but starts creating a rhythmic beat with his hands and mouth. Todd starts speaking swiftly. I listen silently as they both take turns reading some of the words they had written.

     Once their done, I clap loudly. "That is really good! Seriously, you guys are gonna get somewhere with that!" I run to them, peering over their shoulder at the paper. I scan it, admiring the words. Todd is about to speak, but the bell cuts him off. "Lunch. Gotta go." I speak, grabbing my bag.

     I drop my stuff off at my locker and head to the cafeteria with triumph. It seemed as if Cody had forgotten about our conversation earlier and we could still be friends. I sit down next to everyone, next to Kat specifically. "Kat, do you care if Cody and I are friends?" I ask. "Well... No." She speaks softly. "Are you sure?" I press on. "I wish you weren't. But I can handle it." She stiffens. "You don't have to worry anymore Kat, I promise." I speak honestly. "I know, I know." She shrugs. Cody sits next to her, grabbing her thigh swiftly. She smiles at him as he kisses her cheek. "I can defiantly handle it." She whispers.