Chapter 25: bodies

Rotting carcasses were stacked sloppily within the room. Their sunken cheek bones and pale skin stare into us, the fear etched in our faces. Everyone was silent now. Time seemed to freeze.

      Bloody cuts and bruises were protruding from each body, strangers we had never met but still felt an endless pang of sorrow hitting us in our chests. They each had their own lives, own memories, goals, but the one thing they didn't have that we did... Was their future. And that is what I think made us feel the worst. People our age who had many years to live, don't get to. But we do. So we owe them enough, to give them justice.

      Kat flings out her phone, dialing 911. We wait for the conversation to end. Kats voice is shaky and alarming. Soon, she clicks off her phone. "Their coming. They'll be here soon." She says, returning to her usual spot buried in Cody's chest. He rests his head on hers and paces his breaths.

     "Who do you think did this? I mean, they didn't just walk here, obviously. It looks like they put up a good fight." I observe curiously, trying to lighten the mood. "Well thanks, detective Marrose. But your sloppy attempt to finding evidence of struggle is a pretty obvious one. Obviously someone did this to them, that much is clear." Jasper explains with sarcasm. "Well I was just observing, geez." I huff with annoyance. "Not the time to argue, guys." Paris whines from behind us. We quiet down.

     "You know what this means?" Kat jumps from out of Cody's arms. "What?" Todd squeals with fright. "We have to find out who the killer is." Her voice darkens. "Woah, slow your horses there, babe. Don't be givin' miss detective over here any ideas." Cody pulls her back into his arms but she escapes again. "No, I'm being serious! We have already got half the crime solved. We found the bodies. Why can't we find the killer?" She asks us all. "Because maybe we don't want to get killed, too. Smarty pants." Jessica mumbles. "Well maybe-" Kat starts but sirens cut her off.

     Cop car sirens from all directions echo through the house. A bang comes from the front door, but a police man pushes it open instead of waiting for an answer. "We're down here!" Jasper calls, making his way up the ladder. We all follow, trying to erase the images of bodies scattered about. Arms wrap around us, aiding our directions. Detectives go into the house as we are on our way out. "Let them do their job." I nod to Kat. The cops release us, I walk over to a nearby bush to think. After a few moments, the bush starts to shake. I step away from it, expecting a small animal.

     Suddenly, a scrawny but stronger individual is flying out of it, aimed for me. Somehow I end up on the ground, a heavy weight on my chest. I'm yanked upward, a gun cocking in my ear. "Don't you move a muscle or I'll blow your brains out right now." A voice croaks in my ear. My heartbeat quickens. I can feel the barrel of the gun against my forehead. Surely, the cops can see. "Hey! Put the gun down right now, sir!" A cop loads her gun and points it towards the man. I shut my eyes intensely. How do I always find myself in life threatening situations?

     "Let me get out of here without any harm and the girl can live." He shouts to the deputy. "Sir. Put the gun down." She repeats. "No! I don't want to put the gun down!" He freaks. "Ma'am, it's going to be okay. Remain calm." She speaks softly to me. She seemed so sure. I nod slightly. "I said don't move!" He shoves the gun closer to my forehead. "If any harm comes to her, I'll shoot you right now!" The deputy snaps at him. "If you shoot me, I'll shoot her!" He yells. "I'm giving you the count of three to put your gun down. One." She starts. "No!" He cocks it back one more time. "Two." She counts steadier. "Three." A gun sounds. Everything goes blurry.

     I feel something warm and wet trickle down my face. I open my eyes in horror. The man had fallen to the ground. It wasn't me who got shot. I wipe my finger over my cheek, the coppery scent filling my nose. It was blood. All over my face. But it wasn't mine. I breath with relief. "Let's go get you cleaned up." The deputy calms, bringing me in for a hug. I tremble in her grip. She saved my life.

     My friends run to me, gathering me in a tear filled hug. "Looks like we solved the crime." Kat laughs uneasily through her tears.

     Moments pass, soon we are at the hospital. Each of us had to get a check up. No one was harmed in any way. Everything was okay.

     Beatrice was the last to be done. She exits the room with a grateful smile, making her way over to us. "Looks like we are good to go." She rocks on her heels. "Sweet! My mom made muffins, anyone wanna come over?" Cody asks. "Yes. Defiantly." I sigh gratefully. Muffins sounded amazing. "Okay, awesome." He punches something into his phone and locks it. A text to his mom, I assume.

     The hospital doors slide open and we step out onto the pavement. The sun shone brightly in the sky, the previous few hours being distant memories. Soon, we are making our way to Cody's house. Todd blasts some music. Just a group of teenagers blaring music down the sidewalk, no big deal.

     Eventually, we arrive on Cody's front porch, his arm resting on Kat's shoulders. His mom lets us in, a delicious smell entering my nose. I breath in with delight. "Thanks, Mrs. Williams. The muffins smell amazing!" Jasper smiles. "No, thank you." She smiles in return. We pass his staircase, the one he slid down in a trash can at his first ever party. Memories flash me back to that day, it seemed like years ago. I imagine Jake standing at the top of the staircase smiling lightly as his fingers unwrap from the trash can, Cody's blonde hair flapping as he rolls clumsily down his steps. Crazy how time flies.

     We enter his kitchen, each of us sitting down at his table. A stack of muffins sit in the middle of it. Cody's hand shoots out, shoving one into his mouth. We all do the same, we hadn't eaten in a while. That muffin seemed like the best muffin anyone could ever have, even though I didn't have much time to enjoy it. I basically inhaled it. Smiles were printed on each of their faces, laughter filling the air. This was how I planned to think of them, happy and laughing, enjoying life no matter what it throws at us. This is the moment I would replay over and over in my head, making me feel like I could do anything, as long as I was happy.