Chapter 38: Football

The moon was still out when I rolled out of bed, my alarm showing 4:30 A.M., unsure of why I woke up, I decided to get ready anyways. Throwing on a baggy tie dye t-shirt and leggings, I was practically ready. French braiding my hair into two braids, I added some Chapstick and stuck on my converse.

     After plummeting down the stairs, I found myself biting into a granola bar. Today was the big day, the first football game. I knew all the players already, after being a cheerleader last year and soon to be cheerleader this year. The first football game at Swansville always lacked cheerleaders because tryouts weren't until a week later. I don't understand why, but that's just how things were. So not being a cheerleader yet and all, the girls and I planned to watch the football team practice beforehand right after school. We did it every year since middle school.

     After swallowing the last bite of the granola bar, I began stretching out my arms, legs, neck and back, rolling my head form side to side, pulling my arms here and there, touching my toes and holding the splits, arching my back and rolling my wrists. I needed to be warmed up for next week. Grabbing a water bottle, I took a sip and sat it on the counter. No one was awake yet in my house, so I turned the radio down low. I improv danced for almost a full hour, right up until it was time to leave for school.

     After some time, the clock struck 6:30 a.m. and I began my first jog in a while to school. It was only about a mile away so it wasn't very bad. My book bag bouncing with each step, I paced myself down each street. A few doors down, Jake exited his front door in a t-shirt and sport shorts, sipping on a bottled water. "Adeline, hey!" He called to me. I slowed to a stop, now standing in front of his lawn. "Are you jogging to school?" He raised an eyebrow. "Yes. I decided I need to get back into shape." I breathed. "Well can I join you? I need to be ready for the game later." He asked curiously. "Yeah, sure. Of course." I shrug. "Okay great, Aidan is on his way out as well." He nodded. "Aidan spent the night at your house?" I grew confused. "Yeah, we were working on football warmups all yesterday." He shrugged. Great. Both of the guys I liked jogging with me at the same time. Trying to play my cool, I just nodded.

      After some time, my feelings for Jake lessened. He knew it, too. He took my feelings for granted and treated me badly. He seemed to be improving now, but I doubt I'll ever look at him the same way again. So, after I caught feelings for Aidan, I stopped thinking of Jake. But with both of them together, my feelings were about as confusing as Jake when we first started talking. I had no idea how to feel. Of course, I liked Aidan more. He was a really good guy, from what I knew.

     Aidan shut the front door of Jake's house, descending the porch stairs as he watched his shoes. Looking up, our eyes met. "Adeline? What are you doing here?" He asked. "Oh, I was just passing by and Jake asked if you guys could jog with me to school." I gulped, hiding my nervousness. I wasn't as awkward as I used to be in middle school so this moment didn't seem too bad. "Oh, okay. I didn't know you and Jake were friends." He shrugged. "Yeah, we have been for a while." Jake nodded to me. "A really long while." I laugh. "Yeah." Jake laughed with me. "Okay well let's get going so we aren't late." I nod to them, beginning to jog once more. They followed behind.

     We didn't say much the whole time, the only noises I heard were the sounds of our feet hitting the pavement. We ended up in front of the school, stopping in our tracks. "Well thanks for jogging with me, it's really quiet jogging alone so it was cool to have some friends." I thank them. "Of course. We should do it again sometime." Aidan placed a hand on my shoulder for a slight second. "Yeah, okay." I grin. Jake eyeing Aidan, they both head off in the opposite direction.

     I stopped by my group of friends, smirking. "Hey, Adeline. We still watching them practice later?" Kat asked, nodding to Cody, Jasper, Todd and Zack. "Definitely. We do every year." I assure her. "Sweet!" She grinned happily. "Yeah." I laugh. Paris grabbed my arm, pulling me off to the side. "What the hell was that?" She stared at me in disbelief. "What was what?" I asked her confusingly. "You jogged to school with Jake AND Aidan? Old and new crush? What the hell, are you flirting with them both?" She stared at me amazed. "No, no, no! Of course not, I would never." I shake my head, crossing my arms. "Thank god. I don't want you turning into some whore or something." She laughed. "You thought I was turning into a whore?" I laugh, shoving her slightly. "Gee, calm down. Who wouldn't?" She giggled. "True, true. I see where your coming from." I imagined what the situation might look like from her point of view. "Okay, well I'm gonna head to class. See ya." She waved me off. I nodded, heading to class as well.