Chapter 32: Auditorium

The hours flew by quickly, the contest only seconds away. I stood in a line beside Malory, Paris, Maya and Kat on stage. Each of us faced the crowd. Our friends and many others from school peered up at us.

The king contestants stood in a neat order in front of us. My heart thumped quickly in my chest. It took everything in me to calm my nerves. My fingers twiddling at the edge of my dress, a chill shivered up my spine. I hadn't thought about it in a while, but all I was thinking about was how I used to feel about Jake. Of course I didn't feel that way anymore, but I still wanted to know what exactly it was that he felt. I assumed my sudden thoughts were out of curiosity, but I wasn't sure.

     Kat glanced at me, biting her lip. "Ads, I'm nervous." She whispered to me suddenly. "Shh, Kat. You'll do fine. There's no doubt that the audience will see your connection with Cody. Your destined to win, you look stunning!" I whispered to her. "Do you have a connection with any of your dance partners?" Kat whispered back. I glanced at Jake. "Nope. None." My body went numb. She glanced at him as well. "Oh, well that's okay." Her voice went a bit softer. "Yeah, I know." I nodded stiffly.

     Returning my gaze to the audience, I swallowed hard. Our other friends were gathered in a group to the left, staring excitedly at us. That actually calmed me down knowing they were there for us no matter what happens.

     "Contestants, approach your first partner." The principle calls out. After one last deep breath, I approach Cody. He seemed confident as ever, smiling brightly. "Hey." I flash a friendly smile. "Hey!" He fixes his tie. "You think Kat likes my suit?" He adds with a concerned look. "She loves it." I dust off his shoulders. "Thanks, I really needed that. She just is so breath taking, I don't know how she feels the way she does towards me, but she does. And I will be forever grateful." He smiles wider. "You guys were just meant to be." I smirk, beginning to dance.

     Paris to my right and Malory a few groups down after, both smiling brightly as they danced with their partners. I was truly happy for them. Cody and I chatted casually, our dance soon over. We bowed and I spun away.

     My dance with Terrance was over in a flash, I practically was falling asleep with awkwardness. We had no connection whatsoever and empty air hung between us for most of the time. Soon enough, I found myself standing in front of Jake.

     Across the room, I seen Cody's partner grabbing his hands. He seemed unsure and taken back. He didn't look very comfortable as she batted her eyes at him. He smiled awkwardly, playing along. He looked absolutely miserable.

     Returning my attention to Jake, the music began again. He smiled at me, seeming deep in thought. "Hey." My voice was quiet. "Hey." He spoke as we danced. Our hands inches away, I could feel the sweat dripping down my neck. I was unsure, panicking without showing a sign. "So how have you been?" He broke the silence. "Good, really good. How about you?" I shrugged, spinning. Our hands intertwined and the second half of the dance began. "Pretty good." He nodded. His hands were warm and sweaty, like most guys. "Anything new?" I searched for conversation. "I'm not a bad guy anymore. I think I've changed." He suddenly blurted out. My skin radiated with confusion. I was taken by surprise. The way he said it, it just seemed so real. "How do you mean?" I asked. "Honestly, I took advantage of a lot of girls. I have done some bad things." He stared blankly, still full in thought. "I've heard some things but I never knew what to believe." I bit my lip. The honesty was weird. It felt too weird to finally hear some truth. "Well, I had... You know....A lot. And I used a lot of girls. I... Just a lot of stuff." He searched for words. The disapproval washed over my expression, my body tensing up as he twirled me. "Oh. I thought so." I stared into the crowd of people. "But I wouldn't do that anymore." He spoke quicker. "I wouldn't do that anymore, I'm smarter now." He added. "I am, too." I nodded. "I know, you always were." He looked into my eyes. I disconnected from the moment, unsure of what to do next. What was he trying to do?