Chapter 47: Pierced

The tour bus arrived in Seattle, Washington in the early morning. I pulled my hair out of the Dutch braids, curls bouncing to my back. Gathering the curls in my hand, I tied my hair into a messy bun. I was the only one awake, everyone else peacefully sleeping. Quietly slipping off the top bunk, just above Alejandro, I carefully tip toed over to the coffee machine and made myself a cup of hot cocoa.

Sipping the cocoa, I quietly exited the door of the bus. I made my way down the two stair steps, stepping onto the soft green grass. My slippers still on, I twiddled my toes in their fuzz. The cocoa tasted dry and bitter, I twisted my face with disgust. I tossed the foam cup into a trash can and fiddled around with my baggy t-shirt. I was wearing a plain black tee and grey leggings. Looking up at the buildings nearby, I had no idea where we were. I had never been to Seattle.

Glancing at the bus door in debate, I finally decided to go on a walk around the city. My slippers still on, I shuffled down the sidewalk towards the busy crowds of people walking near large buildings. As I made my way around strangers, I scanned the names of each building. "Seattle coffee works." I read aloud, laying my eyes upon a coffee shop.

The bell above the door sounded as I entered, the ringing noise waking me up. Sounds of conversation echoed through the air as I reached the counter. "Hi, what would you like today?" A worker asked me from the other side of the counter. "Just a hot cocoa, only a few marshmallows please." I ordered politely. "That'll be 3.45$." She smiled nicely. I swiped my credit card, just as another worker handed her my cup. "Here you are." She pushed the cup across the counter to me. "Thanks." I nodded, grabbing the cup.

Sitting down at a vacant one person table beside a window, I gazed out at the passing crowds of laughing faces or the occasional man in suit, briefcase in his hand as he speed walked to catch a bus. When you really stop and think, you realize just how beautiful the world can be, even in the simplicity of it all.

My thoughts were interrupted as someone sat at the table next to mine. "Damn. Your not from around here, are you?" A guy around my age looked me up and down. He had dirty blonde hair and brown eyes, a lip piercing poking from his lower lip. "None of your business." I state, sipping my coffee. "Okay, okay. I don't mean to intrude, just trying to make conversation." He laughed. "Sorry, I didn't mean to snap. Im Adeline, you are...?" I smile lightly. "Beck. What brings you to Seattle?" He asks me curiously. "On tour with my boyfriends band." I shrug, taking another sip of the warm cocoa. "Ah, boyfriend. So that's why you snapped." He smirks. "Yeah." I laugh. "Well I didn't mean anything of it, friends?" He asks. "Sure." I smile. "Who all did you come with?" He asks me curiously. "Kat Prescott, Cody Williams, Paris and Jessica Mathews, Alaina Smith-" I begin. "Alaina smith?" He asks in disbelief, interrupting me. "Yes...?" I stare at him awkwardly, raising an eyebrow. "Are you guys from Wyoming?" His eyes grow wide. "Yes, but how did you kno-" I start again, but Alejandro enters the cafe. "Adeline, there you are! I've been looking all over for you." He laughs with relief, smiling at me from the other side of the cafe. "Oh, sorry. I just wanted some cocoa." I say, glancing over at him with a smile as I hold the cocoa up. "It's okay, I don't mind." He says, pulling a chair up to my table. "Okay, by the way this is Beck. Apparently he knows Alaina." I say, looking back at Beck with curiosity.

"Yeah, her and I used to talk. I visit Swansville in the summers to see my cousins. Alaina was at the beach and that's where we met. It was just a summer fling." He brushes it off as if it were no big deal, clearly faking it. "I can take you to her, she's literally right down the road?" I offer. "You'd do that?" His face lights up as he bites his lip. "Sure, of course." I nod, finishing my cocoa. Grabbing Alejandro by the hand as if I had done it a million times before, the three of us exit the cafe.